View Single Post
Old 07-06-2014, 03:44 PM   #66 (permalink)
wmjinman
Master EcoModder

Jimmy - '00 GMC Jimmy SLT
90 day: 21.18 mpg (US)

The White Gnat - '99 Suzuki Swift
Team Suzuki
90 day: 51.87 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
>>> Evaporative emissions control systems can be destroyed by overfilling and you are not allowing for any expansion of the fuel in hot ambient temperatures<<<<<.

regards
Mech
Say, Mech, I fill mine until the gas can be seen standing in the fill neck, too. I know they don't recommend that here, and now that I see this statement of yours, I'm wondering if I'm making a mistake? Could you elaborate on HOW it can damage the evap system, and anything the expansion might hurt? I usually drive a bit after I get gas, making some room in the system, I'm thinking, but maybe not enough room. ???

When I fill, it will take a certain amount at a fairly fast rate, but then get to a point where I can only put in about 0.02 gallons at a time, waiting about 3 or 4 seconds between each 0.02. I can usually get almost another 2 gallons in by doing this, (taking about 20 minutes!!) but now I'm wondering even more than before, what exactly am I doing?

My thought was this was the best way to make sure I'm filling it the same each time (to where it literally won't hold any more). But if I'm screwing up, maybe I need to stop. ??? This car runs really good, and I'd REALLY hate to damage it by being a bonehead!!!