View Single Post
Old 07-07-2014, 07:13 AM   #23 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Xist, what is your goal in a relationship?

Companionship or Children? You're 35 now. Lets be realistic.

I did not get married until I was 3 weeks shy of 39 years old. This weekend my wife's oldest daughter and her oldest granddaughter stopped at our house on the way to a fast pitch softball tournament in Virginia Beach. My step grandaughter is a beautiful 17 year old who is very athletic and reminds me of her grandmother (never athletic) who was the same age when I first saw her 50 years ago.

My wife looks like Anette Funicello's sister (for those who remember) and when I first met her I was the snot nosed 13 year old kid with the bb gun next door and she was the beautiful 17 year old next door neighbor who wanted nothing to do with me.

Flash foreward 21 years.

I was single past 38 and had a good time without treating people like crap, but relationships were few and far between. I made good money and fell in love with a gal that was thin, 5'11", with green eyes at 23. I fell badly and she wanted no part of a permanent relationship after being in one that turned into a disaster, burned to bad to open up. Her family loved me as well, might have been a detriment to success. I was an emotional wreck for a very long time and I still remember her address and phone number to this day.

I met my one and only wife at some local pub. I knew who she was, worked on her brothers car a couple of times. We started dating, I moved in with her and we got married at her brothers house with a JP 6 months later.

Flash foreward 25 years. Sometimes it has been rough but we are still together and doing fairly well. We've been very close to separation on several occasions as we are both strong willed people who don't like loosing any argument, no matter how trivial.

Her retirement income is much greater than mine, we have no debt, most of my retirement income is tied up in home equity and she does not want to sell the house or move. I could live in a ten year old motor home out in the country and pocket $250K tax free. She wants to have 4 bedrooms and 3.5 baths waiting for her kids to visit a few times a year. I tell her the property taxes we pay annually could put them up in the best motel within a 100 miles.

Not sure what your goal is at 35. If it is not children (want to be a dad at 55?) maybe look for an older woman who is financially secure and not interested in children, but I sure hope you don't end up with on who has hot flashes for a quarter of a century.

regards
Mech