View Single Post
Old 07-12-2008, 02:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
azraelswrd
Mr. Blue Tape

AzxA - '06 Scion xA
90 day: 42.72 mpg (US)
I don't think California requires front plates. Just the rear.

Positioning of Plates

Quote:
5201. License plates shall at all times be securely fastened to the vehicle for which they are issued so as to prevent the plates from swinging, shall be mounted in a position so as to be clearly visible, and shall be maintained in a condition so as to be clearly legible. The rear license plate shall be mounted not less than 12 inches nor more than 60 inches from the ground, and the front license plate shall be mounted not more than 60 inches from the ground
And I've seen people just stick the front license plate on their dash so its still visible outside through the windshield.

Just don't block the plate from sight as said here

but there is this caveat which runs counter to the first code I listed:

Quote:
Display of License Plates
5200. (a) When two license plates are issued by the department for use upon a vehicle, they shall be attached to the vehicle for which they were issued, one in the front and the other in the rear.

(b) When only one license plate is issued for use upon a vehicle, it shall be attached to the rear thereof , unless the license plate is issued for use upon a truck tractor, in which case the license plate shall be displayed in accordance with Section 4850.5.
Amended Sec. 27, Ch. 594, Stats. 2003. Effective January 1, 2004.
So I guess just asking someone in authority or an expert in your region's laws and see if its ok to just translocate the front plate to the dashboard. I really couldn't find it in the vehicle codes that said it was not allowed but I've quoted things that are a little confusing/counterintuitive.

My 5 pillars of fuel efficiency:
  • driving style
  • aerodynamics
  • tires
  • weight reduction
  • engine maintenance