View Single Post
Old 07-10-2014, 01:21 PM   #20 (permalink)
radiantthought
EcoModding Lurker

Leaf on the Wind - '13 Nissan Leaf
Yes, essentially the engineer in me sees the energy recapture of a hybrid, the generally smaller gasoline engines, all electric low-speed options, and infinitely variable transmissions with tall final drive ratios, and swoons. I live in a sprawling city (Orlando) where stop-and-go city driving is pretty much all that can be done most of the time. I do what I can to coast to stops, but it's a really hard city to try and drive super efficiently in. It's constant stop/start traffic (lots of lights/congestion), plus the tourists (and locals too) who are simply lost like to weave all over the place like maniacs.

For those curious, I generally get around 4.9-5.1 mi/kw (~165mpge) as a monthly average in my leaf. As for my current driving habits, I keep the car in eco mode 100% of the time, since it gives much finer control over acceleration and coasting. I try to stay around the speed of traffic (although I accelerate a bit slower) and if possible stay a few mph below the posted limits without becoming a rolling roadblock. I don't treat every trip out of the house as a moonshot for efficiency, but just generally try to keep myself consistently mindful of things.

Last edited by radiantthought; 07-10-2014 at 02:41 PM.. Reason: cleaned up some grammar