View Single Post
Old 07-19-2014, 08:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
silvermazda
EcoModding Lurker

Miata - '00 Mazda Miata
90 day: 27.57 mpg (US)

Celica - '91 Toyota Celica GT
90 day: 18.1 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemo View Post
Welcome. Do you have any form of instant mileage feed back like a Scanguage or UltraGuage?
No, driving 3-5K a yr means my gas cost is in the neighboorhood of 500 bucks, spending 1/5th on a guage doesnt seem reasonable to me for a few reasons:
-as said below I have mechanical knowledge
-those 100 can be better spent on tires or such, skinny tires are around 50 a piece right? that buys two.
-I already have a OBD2 reader, though no live data output. (I was looking at a computer based OBD2 scanner/live data logger, yes I want everything graphed.)
-and I always spent the money put aside on other less productive items, like another camshaft, AGM motorcycle battery (7lbs vs the stock 21), brakes, ect.

Quote:
Where there any indications that the heat rang needed to be changed melting electrode or abnormal deposits?
No, just the recommended plug from forum members was a zfr-6. I understand your where you're coming from though. I have a mild to moderate mechanical background.

Quote:
Many have used block and oil pan heater to increase mileage just use the search function to find particulars. A grill block can also help the engine heat up more quickly.
I will try a grill block when I get a more accurate gauge or OBD2 temp info. The stock one stay in the middle from 140-210*F and I'd say far too inaccurate for any grill blocking. It doesnt even have tick marks, just L on one side and H on the other.

thanks