Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2014, 10:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Miata - '00 Mazda Miata
90 day: 27.57 mpg (US)

Celica - '91 Toyota Celica GT
90 day: 18.1 mpg (US)
2000 Mazda Miata from SF

Okay I live just across SF,CA. It is much flatter on this side, but one can find hills close. Have I said HI?

I have had this vehicle for 3yrs. I started learning manual transmission the first day I got it. I shifted it like a 2.2L toyota with a 4 spd auto. Bad idea! got 19mpg the whole summer. (dont know why, probs cause of short intown trips).

Later I learned to drive it faster, shifts at 3100 for this 1.8L from mazda. Mpg was at a healthy 22-24. Then I got bored tried on 185/70 vs the stock 60 sidewalls. I think I got 26mpg once I did the math differences. I didnt like the truck tires on my convertable or how it drove so I switched back.

This time tried some honda sparkplugs, which were supposed to be extended tip, psudo adv timing, and one heat range colder. I felt that torque came on 500rpm earlier (i was very happy because before I had to wait to 2200 or shift higher and not let rpms drop). This led me to have 22mpg. THis is how its been since. I get a constant 22mpg in city and that's okay for the trade off in torque.

I use regular gas, it has 112K miles, 195/50-15 summer 300AA tires (6yr old 1/2 way gone), regular maintenance, I used to use 5w-20 synth then it started leaking, switched back to the factory 5w-30.

Since the short trips and me getting tired of warming up the car I wanted to try out an engine heater to speed up warm up. I was thinking of having a 600W type and using it for 10-20mins in the morning. Hoping to get 3-5mpg.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-19-2014, 08:04 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Chief - '06 Pontiac Grand Prix
90 day: 26.7 mpg (US)

SF1 - '12 Ford Fiesta S
90 day: 30.95 mpg (US)
Welcome. Do you have any form of instant mileage feed back like a Scanguage or UltraGuage? Go here for your biggest and cheapest FE increase 100+ Hypermiling / ecodriving tips & tactics for better mpg - EcoModder.com also known as "adjusting the nut behind the wheel".

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvermazda View Post

This time tried some honda sparkplugs, which were supposed to be extended tip, psudo adv timing, and one heat range colder. I felt that torque came on 500rpm earlier (i was very happy because before I had to wait to 2200 or shift higher and not let rpms drop). This led me to have 22mpg. THis is how its been since. I get a constant 22mpg in city and that's okay for the trade off in torque.
Where there any indications that the heat rang needed to be changed melting electrode or abnormal deposits?

Quote:

Since the short trips and me getting tired of warming up the car I wanted to try out an engine heater to speed up warm up. I was thinking of having a 600W type and using it for 10-20mins in the morning. Hoping to get 3-5mpg.
Many have used block and oil pan heater to increase mileage just use the search function to find particulars. A grill block can also help the engine heat up more quickly.
Old 07-19-2014, 08:12 AM   #3 (permalink)
Just cruisin’ along

Beater Echo - '00 Toyota Echo
90 day: 42.67 mpg (US)

Hondizzle - '97 Honda Civic DX
Team Honda
90 day: 46.55 mpg (US)

Shaggin Waggin - '14 Chrysler Town + Country
90 day: 22.56 mpg (US)
Welcome! I am a Bay Area native, born in Fremont and raised in Milpitas.

Anyhow, glad to see you're enjoying your Miata. Great little cars even if they are a bit tougher to extract mileage from. I would say air up the tires a bit more, and perhaps experiment again with short shifting?

'97 Honda Civic DX Coupe 5MT - dead 2/23
'00 Echo - dead 2/17
'14 Chrysler Town + Country - My DD, for now
'67 Mustang Convertible - gone 1/17
Old 07-19-2014, 08:19 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master Novice

Josie - '87 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 40.02 mpg (US)

Felicia - '09 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 49 mpg (US)
Howdy,

The Miata is a super fun go-cart of a car, and its willingness to dive into and swoop out of turns invites all manner of bad-mileage habits. But its decent power and lightweight chassis, not to mention its tiny frontal area, mean you can get good mileage with a modicum of impulse control.

There are several other Miatas in the Garage, including one (Cinco the Miata) that averages over 32 and has cracked 40 on several occasions. You could do as well.

Lead or follow. Either is fine.
Old 07-19-2014, 08:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Miata - '00 Mazda Miata

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemo View Post
Welcome. Do you have any form of instant mileage feed back like a Scanguage or UltraGuage?
No, driving 3-5K a yr means my gas cost is in the neighboorhood of 500 bucks, spending 1/5th on a guage doesnt seem reasonable to me for a few reasons:
-as said below I have mechanical knowledge
-those 100 can be better spent on tires or such, skinny tires are around 50 a piece right? that buys two.
-I already have a OBD2 reader, though no live data output. (I was looking at a computer based OBD2 scanner/live data logger, yes I want everything graphed.)
-and I always spent the money put aside on other less productive items, like another camshaft, AGM motorcycle battery (7lbs vs the stock 21), brakes, ect.

Quote:
Where there any indications that the heat rang needed to be changed melting electrode or abnormal deposits?
No, just the recommended plug from forum members was a zfr-6. I understand your where you're coming from though. I have a mild to moderate mechanical background.

Quote:
Many have used block and oil pan heater to increase mileage just use the search function to find particulars. A grill block can also help the engine heat up more quickly.
I will try a grill block when I get a more accurate gauge or OBD2 temp info. The stock one stay in the middle from 140-210*F and I'd say far too inaccurate for any grill blocking. It doesnt even have tick marks, just L on one side and H on the other.

thanks
Old 07-19-2014, 08:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Miata - '00 Mazda Miata

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
Welcome! I am a Bay Area native, born in Fremont and raised in Milpitas.Anyhow, glad to see you're enjoying your Miata. Great little cars even if they are a bit tougher to extract mileage from. I would say air up the tires a bit more, and perhaps experiment again with short shifting?
You lucky ducky! I'm sure your emissions testing isnt as strick as mine. Only reason I want to get outta here.

My tires were up to 40 at some time, not any improvement that I could see over a tankful/miles traveled. But then again I need a scan gauge or something. Having soft sidewalled summer tires, going up to 30psi gave me the best braking distances, being 35 and above makes braking distances increase, scary!!!
Factory spec is 26.
end reply

Oh and about those 100+ eco tips, half of them I've tried not much improvement or I'm getting the old EPA mileage driving like grandma, and half are limited by $$ or time spent modding (like using no alternator/just battery power) I cant be stranded in the middle of an intersection, city areas arent strand friendly. Funny you should say, when my moms toyota broke down I drove without an alternator, surprisingly smooth ride over 2.1 miles @ around 30-40mph. Other than having a small battery right now, and knowing that batteries dont like continuous charging and discharging (i worked at an autoparts store), I would try the no alternator approach as it would reduce engine load. Yes, I removed my power steering because the car would launch from a stop light better with out the belt.
Old 07-19-2014, 08:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Miata - '00 Mazda Miata

****request to mods to make this my on going thread****
Old 07-21-2014, 06:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Miata - '00 Mazda Miata

Okay, been reading thru the 65 tips. And I thought about it plenty, yesterday. I'm literally stuck with the fuel economy that I have, more or less. I do have a spare intake cam with increased duration and lift, by phasing that I can do some psudo-atkinson engine, though taking the engine apart to reset it to normal will be a chore.

New plan of attack:
-skinny 175/60-14 440 AA tires to replace worn 195/50-15 300 A A (13lbs vs 18)
-wheels 10.6lbs 14x6's vs the 13lbs stock 15's
(so going from 30-32lbs per wheel/tire to 22lbs, who here thinks this will make a difference?)

-block off with clear acrylic the foglight holes. 2.5" round cut outs.
-replace heavy 25lbs muffler with new magnaflow 2.25" round muffler wt ~9lbs.
-I've heard new front wheel bearings do give 3-5mpg, do sealed units age?
-LED third brake light to reduce amp load on alternator, cutting load from 5A to 3.5A or 2/3rds. Or 55Watts.
-New alternator belt?/timing belt?

And what I've done:
Spark plug wires/plugs not even 3K on them
Air filter
techron cleaner
Alignment
new shocks and springs (lowered front by 1/2inch)
tore out AC and PS (40lbs and 10lbs)
7lbs battery vs 21lbs stock
semi synth drivetrain oils.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:10 PM   #9 (permalink)
Just cruisin’ along

Beater Echo - '00 Toyota Echo
90 day: 42.67 mpg (US)

Hondizzle - '97 Honda Civic DX
Team Honda
90 day: 46.55 mpg (US)

Shaggin Waggin - '14 Chrysler Town + Country
90 day: 22.56 mpg (US)
Quote:
You lucky ducky! I'm sure your emissions testing isnt as strick as mine. Only reason I want to get outta here.
They only smog in counties above a certain population. Mine isn't one of them I got around smog in CA by driving pre-smog cars. What they have here are "safety" inspections. You gotta shop around a bit, some shops are tougher than others on the inspections. Highly annoying.

Miatas seem to be tough cars. Being low and light should make them naturals but I'm guessing the short gearing and maybe more aggressive ECU tuning has always held them back?

'97 Honda Civic DX Coupe 5MT - dead 2/23
'00 Echo - dead 2/17
'14 Chrysler Town + Country - My DD, for now
'67 Mustang Convertible - gone 1/17

Last edited by jcp123; 07-21-2014 at 10:25 PM..
Reply  Post New Thread