View Single Post
Old 07-19-2014, 08:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
silvermazda
EcoModding Lurker

Miata - '00 Mazda Miata
90 day: 27.57 mpg (US)

Celica - '91 Toyota Celica GT
90 day: 18.1 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
Welcome! I am a Bay Area native, born in Fremont and raised in Milpitas.Anyhow, glad to see you're enjoying your Miata. Great little cars even if they are a bit tougher to extract mileage from. I would say air up the tires a bit more, and perhaps experiment again with short shifting?
You lucky ducky! I'm sure your emissions testing isnt as strick as mine. Only reason I want to get outta here.

My tires were up to 40 at some time, not any improvement that I could see over a tankful/miles traveled. But then again I need a scan gauge or something. Having soft sidewalled summer tires, going up to 30psi gave me the best braking distances, being 35 and above makes braking distances increase, scary!!!
Factory spec is 26.
end reply

Oh and about those 100+ eco tips, half of them I've tried not much improvement or I'm getting the old EPA mileage driving like grandma, and half are limited by $$ or time spent modding (like using no alternator/just battery power) I cant be stranded in the middle of an intersection, city areas arent strand friendly. Funny you should say, when my moms toyota broke down I drove without an alternator, surprisingly smooth ride over 2.1 miles @ around 30-40mph. Other than having a small battery right now, and knowing that batteries dont like continuous charging and discharging (i worked at an autoparts store), I would try the no alternator approach as it would reduce engine load. Yes, I removed my power steering because the car would launch from a stop light better with out the belt.