View Single Post
Old 07-23-2014, 10:07 AM   #626 (permalink)
stankoprowski
EcoModding Lurker

CarBen EV5

Over the years I've seen or read about several ways to stiffen the A pillar. The original Lotus Elite used tubing around the windshield with a tube running down in front of the door where it mounts the hinges and finally in the rocker panel area where it provides a jacking point for raising the side of the car. Chapman was great for making one piece serve two or more purposes. I've heard of carbon fiber "rope" being used if you happen to have some laying around. Finally plain old re-bar like you use in concrete work.

If you were using epoxy/fiberglass just enclosing the foam stiffen it substantially in weak appearing areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard View Post
Small update:

(click for link to Library)

I've done a bit of smoothing, and I've got a bit of puzzle about process. I need to fiberglass the 'A' pillars to stiffen them (there is a fair bit of flex side-to-side in particular). I need to cut more on the firewall to fit the wiper motor, but this will cause more flex at the bottom. I will be able to rebuild the firewall with foam, but that requires I get inside the car. To get inside the car, I need to fiberglass the bottom. To fiberglass the bottom, I have to glue the nose on. And, the roof must be stronger, so I gotta fiberglass the top. To fiberglass the top, I have to smooth it more (the scarred edges of the repair in particular). When I glue the nose on, the car will be longer, and the garage will have to have stuff moved out - in order to close the doors.

I think I will have to fiberglass just the center of the 'A' pillars, and leave fabric to wrap around it - after I cut the windshield recess. That has to be wide enough to accept all the layers of fiberglass needed to make it rigid (enough). I think I have to err on the side of making it a bit wider than I think it will be (for 3 layers, or 4 layers, etc.) and if I have more space, an additional layer can be added to get it right. I will have to wait to cut the first side window until the underside is done, and maybe the sides.

And of course, the garage addition needs to get going *any time*. That comes to finances ... there is never enough money! We have a particularly urgent repair to our main bathroom in the house. Naturally. So, I am doing work as I can.
The Following User Says Thank You to stankoprowski For This Useful Post:
NeilBlanchard (07-23-2014)