View Single Post
Old 07-23-2014, 12:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Welcome! It does sound like the car is probably not going into lean burn. You're on the known right track for fixing it (EGR passage). FWIW, the quickest, easiest, cheapest, least appearance altering mods I found were (1) pumping tire pressure up, (2) installing a lawn-edging airdam, and (3) removing the power steering belt. I drive a 1998 Civic DX Coupe. It's identical to yours in all body and weight respects. The car really does not need power steering.

With your air conditioning, keep it set to the coolest temp and keep the vents set to internal air recirculation and toggle the AC button: off when accelerating, on/off as desired while rolling, always on when decelerating (if you are decelerating with the engine on).

The system will keep pumping cool air for a while when the AC is off, especially if you keep it on recirculation. You'll stay cooler and you'll avoid using the AC when the engine most needs power to accelerate.

Good luck!
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.