Thread: Dipping Tiptoes
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2014, 09:07 AM   #1 (permalink)
elhigh
Master Novice

Josie - '87 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 29.5 mpg (US)

Felicia - '09 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 50.48 mpg (US)
Dipping Tiptoes

I work for a homeless shelter. Being a donations-funded ministry, we ain't exactly rolling in dough...and pay accordingly.

So my first try at aerodynamic mods to my little Civic are necessarily low cost. Another important thing is that they have to be easily reversible, preferably without having made any permanent modifications of any kind (i.e. drilled holes) to the car.

So far as I know the Gen I Insight has so far been the only hybrid offered in the States with fender skirts. That's such an obvious mod it isn't even funny, why don't they all have faired in rear wheels? Or for that matter, why do the manufacturers keep fitting wheels that are contributing so heavily to drag?

For instance:
[IMG]IMG_20140729_072551999[1] by elhigh1, on Flickr[/IMG]

And this is what I did this morning right after eating my Cheerios.
[IMG]IMG_20140729_072538387[1] by elhigh1, on Flickr[/IMG]

I've only done the rear wheels so far. Sweetie hopped out of the car after we dropped of Son #1 at the lab so she could peek at them while moving; she said I got the concentricity nearly perfect.

They're made of shelf paper. I have enough paper left over to make about 100 more. Sweetie is on board this is the most important part of vehicle modification at my house.

Lead or follow. Either is fine.

Last edited by elhigh; 07-29-2014 at 09:13 AM..