View Single Post
Old 01-06-2008, 09:17 PM   #20 (permalink)
Coyote X
nut

Metro XFi - '93 Geo Metro XFi Convertible
90 day: 62.17 mpg (US)

DR650SE - '07 Suzuki DR650SE
90 day: 55.26 mpg (US)
Send a message via MSN to Coyote X
Got another question for discussion. I was studying on the car some more today and figured out that I can make the smooth belly pan work out pretty good. It will go from the front bumper to the rear bumper and be totally flat with just 4 areas where the suspension will be. The question is how high should the car be off the ground with a flat underside? I can leave the stock springs on it and with 14" rims if I can find a set will have it sitting pretty high up. I could also put the springs off my XFi on it and have it sitting on the bumpstops again. I have 2 extra sets of springs here so I could go somewhere in the middle if I need to as well. Anyone got any comments on ride height?

As far as the frame goes I think I have it all planned out now. I am going to use 1.75" tubes for the main structure and 1.5" or 1" for supporting stuff. I will also need to use a bit of square tubing for a few brackets and things but not much. I will probably not use 4130 since there would only be about a 25lb weight difference between the two and the extra work welding it together isn't worth that little bit of gain. The main frame tubes will be A513 Type 5 0.120-.130(depending on what they have at the steel shop) thickness and the rest will vary in thickness depending on what it is doing.

I need to get to the dollar store sometime this week and pick up 4 bathroom scales so I can see how much the car weighs now and when it is done. I don't have a chassis rotisserie, I could make one easy but I don't think it is worth it on this car. I will probably just hang it from the ceiling or turn it on it's side when I need to get at the bottom. I can build a small wood frame to keep the rear fenders from getting bent when it is laying on the side. The car is so light right now I really don't see any problems moving it around with no help.