View Single Post
Old 08-08-2014, 06:30 AM   #357 (permalink)
aerobike
EcoModding Lurker

Canopy making...

Hi, great work so far !! I read you are building a vacuum former for making a canopy for your bike, have you read my "saga of the canopy ' on my blog ? AeroBike Enclosed Motorcycle
I am not sure how well canopies can be vacuum formed , I think the commercial glider canopies are formed over heated super polished aluminium forms - not something that can be done cheaply !! Speaking with V.F. companies, apparently where the hot plastic touches the cooler form, chill marks will ruin the smooth finish of the plastic ... the form also has to be very strong , the form I made for my canopy would have been subjected to 20 tons of air pressure when forming...
The method I ended up using ( free blowing ) worked very well , there is absolutely no distortion looking thru the screen and only requires a basic cheap to make oven, a compressor, a clamping ring and a few other bits and pieces... the disadvantage is you may not get the exact shape to fit the bodywork .. the way around this, ( I wish I had known this before building my bodywork..) is to make your canopy first and make your bodywork to suit..

Contact me if you need more info about this method,

Roger
The Following User Says Thank You to aerobike For This Useful Post:
visionary (08-11-2014)