Thread: Yes!
View Single Post
Old 08-11-2014, 07:24 AM   #5 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
The Pep Boys that replaced my timing belt told me that I needed a valve lash adjustment. The store manager of another Pep Boys told me to go back and have them fix my timing belt. They said the tensioner was defective. What was yours doing?
This was scheduled maintenance. The manual recommends a valve check every 12 or 15,000 miles and I hadn't done it in 110,000. The timing belt replacement is 60-90,000 and I hadn't done it in 110,000.

But when I got in there, I found a couple valves far too tight and most tighter than they could be. And the timing belt, while in solid shape in general showed some very minor cracking that must mean stretching too. Both of those will effect emissions a little to a lot, depending.

And if the timing belt snapped... bye bye engine.

Of course, do the timing belt incorrectly and it's also bye bye engine... so I'm glad I checked and re-checked...
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.