View Single Post
Old 01-06-2008, 10:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
MetroMPG
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,959 Times in 3,603 Posts
Hey -welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwelkins View Post
All that engine stopping and going and batteries and electrical things galore freaked me out.
They're awesome machines nonetheless. "Engine stopping" is a regular part of my driving routine, and I often wish I had a Prius under my right foot.

Quote:
My goal is 60 mpg after mods and improved driving habits.
Attainable. I'm going to chime in with Ben and say: a SuperMID is a key piece of the puzzle to help you figure out both mods & technique behind the wheel. Instant feedback is priceless, compared to slow motion tank-to-tank data.

Quote:
Has anyone done this? This change alone calculates to 7+ mpg so definitely worth looking into.
That seems a bit optimistic to me. I installed a transmission with a taller final drive in my car that dropped my RPM by 25%. I measured about a 5% improvement in MPG at steady state cruise.

Quote:
Other future mods that I've investigated and want to do are under belly pan,V-max engine and fuel treatment, 2oz acetone per tank of gas, fuel line and air intake prewarming, 40 weight engine oil and one quart synthetic, Baldwin oil filter, 210 thermostat, windshield wiper deflectors, rear wheel skirts. I looked at 15"wheels with 175/65r15 tires but this calculated to a meager 2.2 mpg gain. I'll be tempted if I run across some good tires on steel wheels. This way I can install moon disks.
I'd skip the fuel & oil treatments, personally. Impossible to empirically determine if they're effective via tank-to-tank testing, and dubious "science" behind them. Also I question going with straight weight oil + synth. Just go with the lightest weight, multigrade, energy saving oil your driving conditions permit. Go synthetic, if you drive in extreme temperatures.

Other than that, the list looks reasonable!

Quote:
Basjoos's car fasinates me to no end.
Join the club! Well, you have, I guess.

Glad to have you here!
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget