View Single Post
Old 08-13-2014, 11:01 PM   #11 (permalink)
Grant-53
Master EcoModder

gregsfc, It is easy enough to disagree with what others are doing when it doesn't suit your situation. State you preferred position without running down others and you will get more support. I understand the reason why some older riders prefer the riding position they do. I will be changing my bicycle frame because at 60 yrs. I am having a hard time throwing a leg over my seat. I am pleased to see you do well with the low revving Honda as it proves a point. The fuel mileage is based not on displacement alone rather the keys are the mass rate of flow and compression ratio. Whether small displacement and high rpm or large displacement and low rpm we want to look at how much Air/Fuel mixture is used to produce a given amount or power. A diesel engine usually operates at twice the compression ratio of a gas engine. The effect of weight on both fuel economy and safety has been overstated lately by some folks. What is very clear is that a 250cc gas cycle is very affordable. Both the aero tuck and the FF positions offer similar gains in reducing frontal area. The four bag rules are somewhat arbitrary but I would argue that some cargo capacity is useful. I would further suggest that being able to easily change configurations to add a passenger or additional carrying capacity is an important feature. My take on body styles is that there are subtle relationships between the center of mass and the center of pressure vertically as well as horizontally to be explored. The concept of aero steer or yaw inputs are just now getting the attention needed to sort out optimum handling. I believe the center of mass should be just below the center of pressure but at this point it is only an educated guess that needs to be tested.
I can defend what the Vetterites have done without getting into a cult of personalities. I may never own a motorcycle but I appreciate each step forward and will apply the lessons learned to my own needs.