View Single Post
Old 08-16-2014, 06:04 AM   #23 (permalink)
gregsfc
EcoModding Apprentice

Absolutely nothing personal with Craig. I spoke with him at the event; he was cordial, he has passion, he has presented some fantastic and inventive concepts for motorcycles, is a true hall of famer, and best of all, he keeps doing the work to keep these events going and tries his best to create some sort of focus in this country on fuel efficiency for two and three wheelers.

I have a criticism though about the lack of inclusiveness for different concepts and welcome spirit of the events that could make them so much better; much more participated; and much more reported on by the press. I was surprised at the AMA event that there was no press at the pre meeting the night before; the pre meeting before the event; during the event; and only one article printed about the Sunday ceremony.

The issues I've brought up, especially the grocery bag test, have been brought up many, many times to Craig by those who show up at the event and then realize it's not designed for the regular motorcyclist. Some of these issues are brought up and defended by Craig on his website. He has a response and a justification for the way he is doing things. I don't believe I could convince him that he has "erred". It's not as if I could tell him about it and he would think he's erred. What he is doing is fine if that's all he wants out of it. He's the only one doing it that I know of, and it's his show. But the result of this limited scope is that five or six guys come to compete every event; three or four show up with stock bikes just to ride but not really compete; most often for the first and only time. Usually a three or four wheeler will show up for demonstration purposes; a few big bikes with riders will show up just to see what it is all about and just because it's an opportunity for a group ride that draws attention out on the highway when folks see those streamlined machines and this gives them another chance to show off their big chromed machines.

This website being a discussion forum, I'm simply discussing my belief that if Craig decided to make this event more inclusive; about more than what it is about; maybe it would draw more interest and participation. It is not meant as a personal attack. Just my opinion which itself may be flawed. I'm not sure I'm right. It might still be fledgling along even with more classes of winners and a more welcomed spirit to draw high mpg vehicles, but I do feel like what he is doing is not working as intended. And that is to get the world interested in streamlined motorcycles and trikes and scooter for the future of transportation. Someone told me that in Europe, they know of only one person doing this.

Last edited by gregsfc; 08-16-2014 at 06:11 AM..