View Single Post
Old 08-19-2014, 03:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
COcyclist
Aero Wannabe

TDi - '04 VW Golf
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 53.2 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverCrown9701 View Post
I've been curious lately if using a couple of these on your driver's seat would help keep one cool during the summertime as opposed to using the air conditioner.
Has anyone else thought of this before or something similar?
Could this work and cut down on fuel consumption?
Yes, yes and yes. I have been experimenting with something like this on highway trips last summer and this summer and have gotten some of my highest tank averages ever. (Just shy of 1,000 miles on 16 gallons of diesel) I am using a chiller I got after an injury, used to reduce swelling. After I healed the device was just sitting around so I decided to re-purpose it. Basically it is like a small cooler filled with ice and water with an electric pump and two insulated hoses. When it is plugged in it circulates the chilled water through a bladder that I placed at the back of my neck below the headrest. It works surprisingly well and lasts for about 2-3 hours, depending on sun and outside temperatures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
The power needed to push an object through a fluid increases as the cube of the velocity. Mechanical friction increases as the square, so increasing speed requires progressively more power.
The Following User Says Thank You to COcyclist For This Useful Post:
SilverCrown9701 (08-19-2014)