View Single Post
Old 08-23-2014, 01:42 PM   #34 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
venting/belly pan

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillsworld View Post
Ceramic coating is a wee bit out of the starting budget for this hahaha... BUT that would seem to be the way to go!

I suppose, if I managed to get a true sealed belly pan... Then air from the engine compartment would vent within the belly pan and I could vent out the rear via a smooth duct to get clean the airflow back up before introduction to the rearward flow? That might alleviate some of the "heat" issues to begin with. And if it didn't work enough, I could throw on some mini electric fans to pull air out the back? I think that would also combat the dead zone of drag behind the vehicle if it were placed just right.

Ok... rear diffuser, front spliter, full belly pan, air dam... As stated above, if I managed to do all of this, would venting the engine bay between car and pan be a good idea? Would a rear vent incorporated into the diffuser or even higher, allow for assistance in filling the void that causes drag?

Also, your truck has a fully belly pan correct? Do you have any links or could you post any pictures of the belly pan? I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around how the rear axle/leaf springs fits into the equation when attempting to do a full sealed pan. I'm guessing you went under the axle since you have minimal suspension articulation and are low to the ground for aerodynamics.

~C
All the air SHOULD be flowing OUTSIDE the pan.
Mine has leakage at the front wheel wells,in the center,at the cab/box gap,at the rear axle,and rear wheel houses.It's far from ideal.
I think that the only belly pan images may be at the 'Free Fuel Riding on the Wind' at EV World.com.,from back around 2005.
When I do the oil and filter,I'm going to open an exit behind the radiator bulkhead area as Ferrari has done in the following link
I would leave the diffuser alone.Morelli did do an aspirated rear bumper on the CNR 'banana' car,but it requires a wind tunnel to get that right.
Air traveling 'above' the pan is robbing kinetic energy from the flow 'below' the pan.Also,you're bathing the powertrain in hot air off the radiator and exhaust.Good in winter,maybe not so good in summer.http://www.tamiya.com/english/produc...enzo/enzo6.jpg