Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2014, 11:01 AM   #31 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,790 Times in 1,959 Posts
Luigi Colani has proven that you can let a lot of air under the car given smooth under surfaces and in inverted wing-like body.

See this thread:
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...iew-26432.html

1977 Porsche 911s Targa
1998 Chevy S-10 Pick-Up truck
1989 Scat II HP Hovercraft

Chin Spoiler:
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/off-t...effective.html

Rear Spoiler Pick Up Truck
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/off-t...xperiment.html

Roof Wing
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...1-a-19525.html
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-23-2014, 12:33 PM   #32 (permalink)
I got ideas

Beast - '97 Mercury Mountaineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by kach22i View Post
Luigi Colani has proven that you can let a lot of air under the car given smooth under surfaces and in inverted wing-like body.

See this thread:
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...iew-26432.html
Can't wait to watch those videos when I get some time!! It would be my understanding, that in order to do the inverted wing you need a flat(ish) top of the car in order to try and get similar pressure differentials? His designs seem to literally mimic an inverted wing. Would it even be possible to achieve this, or enough of this to make it work, with the shape of an SUV?

~C
PS you could add hamsters inside for a 'bio-hybrid' drive.
Old 08-23-2014, 12:43 PM   #33 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
Quote:
You know the real name of the duck, and you pull out vintage military pictures with ease... I think you're my kind of guy haha
Truth be known, I'm more-or-less a peace-loving hippy. Imagine this with peace symbols all over it.

Somebody said Colani?

Old 08-23-2014, 01:42 PM   #34 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,207 Times in 4,640 Posts
venting/belly pan

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillsworld View Post
Ceramic coating is a wee bit out of the starting budget for this hahaha... BUT that would seem to be the way to go!

I suppose, if I managed to get a true sealed belly pan... Then air from the engine compartment would vent within the belly pan and I could vent out the rear via a smooth duct to get clean the airflow back up before introduction to the rearward flow? That might alleviate some of the "heat" issues to begin with. And if it didn't work enough, I could throw on some mini electric fans to pull air out the back? I think that would also combat the dead zone of drag behind the vehicle if it were placed just right.

Ok... rear diffuser, front spliter, full belly pan, air dam... As stated above, if I managed to do all of this, would venting the engine bay between car and pan be a good idea? Would a rear vent incorporated into the diffuser or even higher, allow for assistance in filling the void that causes drag?

Also, your truck has a fully belly pan correct? Do you have any links or could you post any pictures of the belly pan? I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around how the rear axle/leaf springs fits into the equation when attempting to do a full sealed pan. I'm guessing you went under the axle since you have minimal suspension articulation and are low to the ground for aerodynamics.

~C
All the air SHOULD be flowing OUTSIDE the pan.
Mine has leakage at the front wheel wells,in the center,at the cab/box gap,at the rear axle,and rear wheel houses.It's far from ideal.
I think that the only belly pan images may be at the 'Free Fuel Riding on the Wind' at EV World.com.,from back around 2005.
When I do the oil and filter,I'm going to open an exit behind the radiator bulkhead area as Ferrari has done in the following link
I would leave the diffuser alone.Morelli did do an aspirated rear bumper on the CNR 'banana' car,but it requires a wind tunnel to get that right.
Air traveling 'above' the pan is robbing kinetic energy from the flow 'below' the pan.Also,you're bathing the powertrain in hot air off the radiator and exhaust.Good in winter,maybe not so good in summer.http://www.tamiya.com/english/produc...enzo/enzo6.jpg
Old 08-23-2014, 02:42 PM   #35 (permalink)
I got ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Truth be known, I'm more-or-less a peace-loving hippy. Imagine this with peace symbols all over it.

I don't know that one! What is that one... VW based? I'm in love!

Also, I didn't mean you liked war... Just that you seem to know a lot of the vintage vehicles

~C
Old 08-23-2014, 02:57 PM   #36 (permalink)
I got ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
All the air SHOULD be flowing OUTSIDE the pan.
Mine has leakage at the front wheel wells,in the center,at the cab/box gap,at the rear axle,and rear wheel houses.It's far from ideal.
I think that the only belly pan images may be at the 'Free Fuel Riding on the Wind' at EV World.com.,from back around 2005.
When I do the oil and filter,I'm going to open an exit behind the radiator bulkhead area as Ferrari has done in the following link
I would leave the diffuser alone.Morelli did do an aspirated rear bumper on the CNR 'banana' car,but it requires a wind tunnel to get that right.
Air traveling 'above' the pan is robbing kinetic energy from the flow 'below' the pan.Also,you're bathing the powertrain in hot air off the radiator and exhaust.Good in winter,maybe not so good in summer.http://www.tamiya.com/english/produc...enzo/enzo6.jpg
So unless I can find a way to make it sealed, I should stick with just a front pan and air dam? How bad would it be to have the moving air?

This is the pic of your bellypan

Is the belly pan coming down right before the axle to try and get it to jump the gap? I have assumed this is shot from the front towards the back? Also, I'm amazed at the uneven nature of the pan, I was fearful that it would need to be flat like the image of the ferrari's underbody.

Speaking of the Ferrari, is the gap in the bellypan to vent radiator exhaust under the car, or is it simply an aerodynamics thing to help with flow on the front of the car and the creation of downforce with the ducting/splitter?

~C
Old 08-23-2014, 03:07 PM   #37 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Yes. I don't know why it fell out of favor. The M3 scout car used something similar

Not getting the pics ...

Old 08-23-2014, 03:20 PM   #38 (permalink)
I got ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by euromodder View Post
Not getting the pics ...
Here ya go, the scout car he posted that had the roller

~C
Old 08-23-2014, 07:52 PM   #39 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
Quote:
I don't know that one! What is that one... VW based? I'm in love!
What it is is someone's Photochop. I found it a long time ago. It follows me around.

It is VW based — the WWII Schwimmwagen. This presents as having a chopped top and Porsche Fuch's wheels. The vestigal sill/grab-rail is all that remains after the stock front and rear fenders were cut away. It would make a much better boat with the airbags. Roostertails off the rear tires.

I'd want it with a carbon-fiber tub instead of the original steel; and internal hydrojets, like a jetski, instead of the propellor. Oh, and inhub electric motors instead of the mechanical frontwheel drive. Unless that's a bad idea.
Old 08-24-2014, 05:36 PM   #40 (permalink)
fuel conserver

Civic - '99 Honda Civic EX
Chillsworld, those Mountaineers and Explorers (especially with the 302) are great quality vehicles. I had a '96 4.0 OHV 2wd 5speed from FL, one of my favorites vehicles I've owned, and changed my mind on Ford. I got up to 24mpg with it. I just told a friend yesterday to let me know if he sells his daughters AWD Mountaineer.

On the tires, you could try a 235/85-16 in D or E load range, they are narrow but 32" tall and can be run at high psi, up to 85psi for E.

On the transfer case, I believe that a 4x4 tcase will still have the front axle turning, just not the driveshaft, so not much savings IMO over AWD

'22 Tundra TRD OR
'04 RX330
'05 Tacoma 4x4
Reply  Post New Thread