View Single Post
Old 08-23-2014, 02:57 PM   #36 (permalink)
chillsworld
I got ideas

Beast - '97 Mercury Mountaineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
All the air SHOULD be flowing OUTSIDE the pan.
Mine has leakage at the front wheel wells,in the center,at the cab/box gap,at the rear axle,and rear wheel houses.It's far from ideal.
I think that the only belly pan images may be at the 'Free Fuel Riding on the Wind' at EV World.com.,from back around 2005.
When I do the oil and filter,I'm going to open an exit behind the radiator bulkhead area as Ferrari has done in the following link
I would leave the diffuser alone.Morelli did do an aspirated rear bumper on the CNR 'banana' car,but it requires a wind tunnel to get that right.
Air traveling 'above' the pan is robbing kinetic energy from the flow 'below' the pan.Also,you're bathing the powertrain in hot air off the radiator and exhaust.Good in winter,maybe not so good in summer.http://www.tamiya.com/english/produc...enzo/enzo6.jpg
So unless I can find a way to make it sealed, I should stick with just a front pan and air dam? How bad would it be to have the moving air?

This is the pic of your bellypan

Is the belly pan coming down right before the axle to try and get it to jump the gap? I have assumed this is shot from the front towards the back? Also, I'm amazed at the uneven nature of the pan, I was fearful that it would need to be flat like the image of the ferrari's underbody.

Speaking of the Ferrari, is the gap in the bellypan to vent radiator exhaust under the car, or is it simply an aerodynamics thing to help with flow on the front of the car and the creation of downforce with the ducting/splitter?

~C
PS you could add hamsters inside for a 'bio-hybrid' drive.