View Single Post
Old 08-28-2014, 10:19 PM   #787 (permalink)
Tzfardaya
EcoModding Lurker

Frogger - '11 Mazda Mazda2 Sport
90 day: 38.31 mpg (US)
Sorry for replying to old posts, but I just wandered back in again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdb View Post
Ah, one of my not-quite daily annoyances; Linux bigots. They're almost, but not quite, as annoying as Apple bigots.

I kid, sort of. But the truth is that Linux -- the use of which is, in very large part, how I make my living -- is not a be-all end-all operating system. At the kernel level, you might be able to make a decent argument. But it needs buttloads of customization to fit different functions, platforms and screens. You said as much yourself when you described Android.

Windows 8 tried to be a single operating system and interface that would fit all platforms and screen sizes. Dumb, dumb, dumb idea. But Linux would suffer the same fate, and be just as dumb an idea, if someone were to release a single version that was supposed to work on all of those same platforms. Thankfully nobody does that, and we get nice open systems that have a lot of commonalities, but are overlaid with interfaces for their target screens, or fortified enterprise duty, and so on.
More snow is predicted for this afternoon. Bah.
Ubuntu is trying...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arragonis View Post
Daily annoyance - those covers for phones and tablets.

Nobody except maybe on the ISS or a similar clean room can ever have got one to fit without bubbles or bits of dust underneath.

I hate you shiney things.
I've rarely had anything caught under them..
Do you use the plastic or glass scratch guards?
With glass, you just barn door tape them (line them up then use 2 pieces of tape as "hinges" before you peel the backing off to affix)

Either way, the secret is to apply them after a nice hot steamy shower..
Turn device off, have shower, while bathroom is still full of steam (this drops all the dust from the air) apply your scratch guards...
I've done this with the last several devices, glass and plastics, no dust trapped.

Anyways, My Moan of the day:
Going to pickup a new friend from her place, get a stern talking to for ringing the doorbell instead of texting up or honking... (foreign student, living at her aunts while attending classes) Apparently I confused the family since they've never had the doorbell rang before...