View Single Post
Old 01-07-2008, 09:34 AM   #4 (permalink)
Daox
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,586 Times in 1,554 Posts
I'm looking into building an electronically actuated grill block. The first reason is for aero. The car is mostly driven on the highway and any aero mods will help. There is also the benefit of quicker heating from cold. As it is, the Matrix heats up pretty good with the block heater. But, there is still a lot of open space under the engine bay and between the bumper cover and the main radiator support. I've noticed the engine cooling off if idled at a stop for a descent length of time with the heater on in very cold weather. This is even with the two grill blocks I have in place now! So, I would like to add under paneling between the bumper cover and the area directly under the engine. This would leave only the gaps at the front of the vehicle, and the very rear of the engine bay open. I'm expecting this to overheat the engine fairly quickly. So, I'm looking into electronically actuating an opening to cool it off when it gets too hot. The setup is very simple (and relatively cheap), but the circuit to control the actuator is just out of my limited electronics knowledge.