View Single Post
Old 07-15-2008, 05:45 PM   #30 (permalink)
brickinthewind
Rapidly Evolving Driver

Brick House - '04 Scion xB
90 day: 36.44 mpg (US)
I was about to post my latest tank (only need to fill up once a month, I bike to work and use the motorcycle when I can) when I saw this. I just got 37.7mpg on a 352 mile tank, but have gotten as much as 49 on a trip when I had the wind at my back and left very early in the morning which was all highway miles, no stop & go for about 200 miles. If you're ever in the Oakland/Berkeley area I can take you for a ride to see if I do anything different than you. Here's my mods:

-Lowered 1.75". This should help quite a bit, but I can't give you a mileage quote before the mod. This means the roof is 1.75" lower, but also that there is 1.75" less air going under the car where it is more turbulent, so I am sure it helps. Eibach springs.

-cold air intake, magnaflow exhaust. This should actually HURT mpg, so you could do better than I. Although, if I use the 1/2 to 3/4 throttle opening when I am accelerating, it may actually help. Who knows.

-original tires, 48psi, all extras taken out of the car, recent oil change, 175 lb. driver, drive until the warning light goes on, Costco 87 octane gas - random details.

-lots of pulse and glide, some drafting combined with pulse and glide (I do not like to tailgate for any length of time) some EOC coming down hills and some offramps

As always, be SAFE! But those are my tricks to get *close* to 40 on average between local city driving (under 40) and long distance driving. (over 40)