View Single Post
Old 08-31-2014, 04:30 AM   #15 (permalink)
freebeard
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
I like the title. Bill Fisher's book How to Hot Rod Volkswagen Engines has been a classic for years.

My thought was at $400 I'd get two and use the best one. In the event I went with the $650 Lexus part. I rationalize it by saying maybe the yard knows it's worth more than others. We'll see—it should be delivered by Monday.

I've measured the vehicle and I have 11" between the frame rails. It might be tight getting the axle centerline to the original location. I may have to rotate the unit 5-10° up in front and the vertical clearance looks tight. The plan is to make a 1/8" steel plate carrier that will lie below the MGR, adapt it's mounting tabs and fit to the stock VW rubber transaxle mounts.

For benefit of those not in the AC controller thread, my hope is to use the Toyota gearset as a raw material for additional hardening and machining, and put it in an understressed installation to see if I can get by without an external oil pump.

Toyota must have training materials for their mechanics. Those mechanics must go someplace for a beer after work. Hmmmm.....

Edit: Will it be possible to drive one of Paul's controllers from 120v or 240v mains power, at a bench dynamometer?

Last edited by freebeard; 08-31-2014 at 04:38 AM..