View Single Post
Old 08-31-2014, 03:18 PM   #19 (permalink)
freebeard
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,585 Times in 7,069 Posts
Quote:
Glad to see you're rolling with this!
Peer pressure.

Here's a handy picture of a Subaru transaxle on VW pan. It's about 19" between the front and rear transaxle mounts.

I'd like the simplest possible install, MGR forward, axle centerline as close to stock as possible, optional external cooler, etc. With the thought of a limited production run of adapter cradles; because if this works, nobody will do VW conversions the old way again. As long as supplies hold out.

OTOH, it's going into a Baja'd Beetle. So if I need to move the axle centerline up and/or to the rear or modify the sheet metal, then 'oh, well'. If the unit won't drop between the rails, it might rotate up in the front. I had thought the diff was centered and the motor hung off to the right, but it looks roughly symmetrical.

Insofar as the manuals, I'm curious about whether it's solid or rubber mounted in the chassis and best practises for crimping cable ends or whatever Toyota knows about working safely with those voltage levels. The biggest bite I ever took was 800v, but that was from a TV set, not a power plant.