View Single Post
Old 09-09-2014, 02:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
xavi
EcoModding Lurker

Hi people! I'm Xavi from Portugal!

Hi guys!

I’m Xavi from Portugal, and I have a 8th generation Civic, the 1.8 i-vtec sport version.
I have been following the ecomodder.com for a while now, but only today decided to register.
I have been using many hypermiling techniques for some years…it all started with a 1.5 vtec civic with D15Z6 lean burn engine, that has an ECONO light.
I have been learning more and more along these years and improving my FE.
I’m using a Scangauge II for 6 months know. Very useful.
But the numbers aren't that good for some reasons:
- I simply can’t stand driving with over inflated tires: the car has a very stiff suspension, together with 225-45-17” tires, it gets even worst. Also because they are so large it causes to much drag (thinking of changing to 205-55-16”);
- My average speed per tank is too low (33 km/h or 20.5 mph), my daily commute is on B roads, with 2 traffic lights, 2 stop signs, and 2 roundabouts, and with ups and downs (which I use to P&G) and 5 miles to work, 3 miles to lunch, 3 miles to work, and 5 miles back home… In the chilly weather the engine doesn't even warm up. Also I hardly drive on motorway, sometimes several months without any motorway…
- Thinking of a engine heater, but the car garage is far from a electric plug…
- Don’t want to put a grill block cause it looks so awful, don’t know if it’s possible to install a grill block inside the bumper so it doesn't show from the outside?!

Still I can get 37-40 US mpg on the summer, and 33-34 US mpg on winter.
Honda claims a 35 US mpg on combined cycle for this car, so I think with this short trips, my mpg it’s not so bad… Is it?

Last edited by xavi; 09-09-2014 at 02:19 PM.. Reason: Posted UK mpg, now edited to US mpg