View Single Post
Old 09-10-2014, 07:43 AM   #10 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
I do not know how many of you read the thread where I replaced my friend's oil pan. If not, no worries, I am not linking it, please do not waste your time. If you did read it, well, all of us wasted our time.

At first it seemed like it was too bad that I had so many difficulties replacing my own pan, but I did it, and then I was able to help a friend! Then, while I was driving her around, she was able to diagnose my car by the sound!

She said that I had a vacuum leak. She still has all of my tools, so I was going to need to borrow or rent someone else's. I watched:
and

However, I did not know where to check. Laugh if you will, but I do not even know which hoses are for vacuum, so I went to O'Reilly, where I found little help. I drove to U Fix It Automotive - Do It Yourself, and Do It Right!, and when the mechanic pulled my car in the bay, he explained how my AC was kicking on, and described the exact reason that I brought it in. While my last shop pulled vacuum and charged the AC, apparently they did not notice a bad valve, which he replaced, and then put in another several ounces of refrigerant. However, when he started my engine, the AC compressor still turned on and off, so he said that my expansion valve is bad, which is a 3-4 hour repair, and would cost $5-600 dollars.

Majestic has Valve Assy., Expansion (10n) (Fuji Koki America) for $54.53 Honda Automotive Parts
They said that would need to be replaced as part of a kit. What else needs to be replaced?

My repair manual intentionally omits AC service. The service manual seems to skip the expansion valve. I am not finding very clear instructions anywhere for my car. So far, the best that I can find is which is for a Camry!

U-Fix it will evacuate the system and then recharge it afterward.

Then I need to replace my timing belt in a few thousand miles!

By the way, this had great information! Summer A/C Guide, How it Works, and When it Doesn't - Honda-Tech

Finally, while I was there, I decided to replace my rear brake cylinders, which leaked. The mechanic started telling me how to do it, but just took over, and I learned once again not to eat Super Nachos, especially with a pint of hot sauce, and then walk 1.9 miles in twenty-five minutes.

Last edited by Xist; 09-10-2014 at 07:58 AM..