View Single Post
Old 09-10-2014, 03:22 PM   #42 (permalink)
XYZ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverCrown9701 View Post
The thing is though, on the hills that are the "steepest" in my area, coasting in Neutral does not work very well. I slowdown just as if I was in drive and engine braking was engaged. That's why I thought it wasn't worth the effort to use Neutral for downhills in my area.
This doesn't sound right. When in drive there should be some engine braking. When in neutral, there should be none. Check to see if one of your brakes is hanging up and causing rolling resistance.

Quote:
When I shift from Drive to Neutral at 40-50 MPH, I feel a slight jerk and lurch. The sane happens when I reengage the transmission.
When you shift into neutral to coast, what you will feel is the release of the transmission. It should feel like there is nothing holding you back. However, the re-engagement in to drive is what concerns me. At higher speeds, such as 40-50, feeling a jerk and lurch when shifting back into drive means it might be detrimental to your transmission. When is the last time you checked the color and smell of your transmission fluid?