Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now
 

Reply  Post New Thread
 
Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2014, 03:05 PM   #41 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice
 
SilverCrown9701's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Texas
Posts: 140

SilverCrown - '01 Toyota Camry LE
Team Toyota
90 day: 35.32 mpg (US)
Thanks: 109
Thanked 11 Times in 9 Posts
The thing is though, on the hills that are the "steepest" in my area, coasting in Neutral does not work very well. I slowdown just as if I was in drive and engine braking was engaged. That's why I thought it wasn't worth the effort to use Neutral for downhills in my area.

__________________
The name "Camry" is an Anglicized phonetic transcription of the Japanese word kanmuri meaning "crown".



  Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

   
Old 09-10-2014, 03:22 PM   #42 (permalink)
XYZ
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: nowhere
Posts: 533
Thanks: 31
Thanked 86 Times in 69 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverCrown9701 View Post
The thing is though, on the hills that are the "steepest" in my area, coasting in Neutral does not work very well. I slowdown just as if I was in drive and engine braking was engaged. That's why I thought it wasn't worth the effort to use Neutral for downhills in my area.
This doesn't sound right. When in drive there should be some engine braking. When in neutral, there should be none. Check to see if one of your brakes is hanging up and causing rolling resistance.

Quote:
When I shift from Drive to Neutral at 40-50 MPH, I feel a slight jerk and lurch. The sane happens when I reengage the transmission.
When you shift into neutral to coast, what you will feel is the release of the transmission. It should feel like there is nothing holding you back. However, the re-engagement in to drive is what concerns me. At higher speeds, such as 40-50, feeling a jerk and lurch when shifting back into drive means it might be detrimental to your transmission. When is the last time you checked the color and smell of your transmission fluid?
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 03:55 PM   #43 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice
 
SilverCrown9701's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Texas
Posts: 140

SilverCrown - '01 Toyota Camry LE
Team Toyota
90 day: 35.32 mpg (US)
Thanks: 109
Thanked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by XYZ View Post
This doesn't sound right. When in drive there should be some engine braking. When in neutral, there should be none. Check to see if one of your brakes is hanging up and causing rolling resistance.

I can feel it coasting freely but it starts to slow down at the same rate as engine braking does. I like the Toyota dealership service center but theyre so expensive. Who do you know is reasonable on checking brakes? I don't know much about checking brakes.

When you shift into neutral to coast, what you will feel is the release of the transmission. It should feel like there is nothing holding you back. However, the re-engagement in to drive is what concerns me. At higher speeds, such as 40-50, feeling a jerk and lurch when shifting back into drive means it might be detrimental to your transmission. When is the last time you checked the color and smell of your transmission fluid?
That concerns me as well. I had my fluid changed last year at Toyota Service Center.
__________________
The name "Camry" is an Anglicized phonetic transcription of the Japanese word kanmuri meaning "crown".



  Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 05:31 PM   #44 (permalink)
herp derp Apprentice
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Lawrence, KS
Posts: 1,036

Saturn-sold - '99 saturn sc1
Team Saturn
90 day: 28.28 mpg (US)

Yukon - '03 GMC Yukon Denali
90 day: 14.94 mpg (US)
Thanks: 43
Thanked 321 Times in 228 Posts
Some automatic transmissions will have engine braking all the time. Some transmissions are built to avoid this and will overrun / freewheel when overdrive, or the highest gear is selected, but will have engine braking in a lower gear selection
  Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 2000mc For This Useful Post:
SilverCrown9701 (09-10-2014)
Old 09-10-2014, 05:36 PM   #45 (permalink)
In the fasting lane
 
RedDevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Nieuwegein, the Netherlands
Posts: 3,645

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 51.36 mpg (US)

It - '09 Hyundai I10 Active Cool
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.58 mpg (US)
Thanks: 1,456
Thanked 1,987 Times in 1,273 Posts
You can (and should from time to time) check your brakes after driving by holding your hand close to the disks.
If one is hotter than the others that one drags.

If you have a OBDII gauge you can see your fuel consumption per hour when idling at a standstill.
In N I use just about 60% of what I use in D.
So even if N is no good for coasting it does save gas at the lights if you don't key off.
I have a CVT though, ordinary autos may act differently.

I don't coast in N as the Insight does not only DFCO but also does something with the valves to further reduce engine braking on DFCO.
In N it just idles and uses half the fuel per hour it would need to maintain a steady speed of 38 mph. No P&G with idling in N for me therefore.
__________________
2011 Honda Insight + HID, LEDs, tiny PV panel, extra brake pad return springs, neutral wheel alignment, 44/42 PSI (air), PHEV light (inop), tightened wheel nut.
lifetime FE over 0.16 Gmeter or 0.1 Mmile.



Most people are in the longest queue.
  Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RedDevil For This Useful Post:
SilverCrown9701 (09-10-2014)
Old 09-10-2014, 05:50 PM   #46 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice
 
SilverCrown9701's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Texas
Posts: 140

SilverCrown - '01 Toyota Camry LE
Team Toyota
90 day: 35.32 mpg (US)
Thanks: 109
Thanked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000mc View Post
Some automatic transmissions will have engine braking all the time. Some transmissions are built to avoid this and will overrun / freewheel when overdrive, or the highest gear is selected, but will have engine braking in a lower gear selection
This might be a silly question but how would I find out if my transmission does this what you listed??
__________________
The name "Camry" is an Anglicized phonetic transcription of the Japanese word kanmuri meaning "crown".



  Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 05:53 PM   #47 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice
 
SilverCrown9701's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Texas
Posts: 140

SilverCrown - '01 Toyota Camry LE
Team Toyota
90 day: 35.32 mpg (US)
Thanks: 109
Thanked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDevil View Post
You can (and should from time to time) check your brakes after driving by holding your hand close to the disks.
If one is hotter than the others that one drags.

If you have a OBDII gauge you can see your fuel consumption per hour when idling at a standstill.
In N I use just about 60% of what I use in D.
So even if N is no good for coasting it does save gas at the lights if you don't key off.
I have a CVT though, ordinary autos may act differently.

I don't coast in N as the Insight does not only DFCO but also does something with the valves to further reduce engine braking on DFCO.
In N it just idles and uses half the fuel per hour it would need to maintain a steady speed of 38 mph. No P&G with idling in N for me therefore.
I have an UltraGauge.

That's a smart idea, I need to try that and see what it displays. I'll also check my disks after my next drive to see if I notice any increased heat. I really hope they're not dragging, ugh :/
__________________
The name "Camry" is an Anglicized phonetic transcription of the Japanese word kanmuri meaning "crown".



  Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 09:19 PM   #48 (permalink)
herp derp Apprentice
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Lawrence, KS
Posts: 1,036

Saturn-sold - '99 saturn sc1
Team Saturn
90 day: 28.28 mpg (US)

Yukon - '03 GMC Yukon Denali
90 day: 14.94 mpg (US)
Thanks: 43
Thanked 321 Times in 228 Posts
Guess I'm saying, I wouldn't worry about it. If it coasts as well in gear as neutral, it's very likely normal, and if this was the only symptom that it's broke, sounds like a good mod.
In addition to checking for brake drag, I might first find a nice flat parking lot, and see how hard the car is to push by hand.
  Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 2000mc For This Useful Post:
SilverCrown9701 (09-10-2014)
Old 09-10-2014, 09:45 PM   #49 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice
 
SilverCrown9701's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Texas
Posts: 140

SilverCrown - '01 Toyota Camry LE
Team Toyota
90 day: 35.32 mpg (US)
Thanks: 109
Thanked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000mc View Post
Guess I'm saying, I wouldn't worry about it. If it coasts as well in gear as neutral, it's very likely normal, and if this was the only symptom that it's broke, sounds like a good mod.
In addition to checking for brake drag, I might first find a nice flat parking lot, and see how hard the car is to push by hand.
How do you mean by broke?
__________________
The name "Camry" is an Anglicized phonetic transcription of the Japanese word kanmuri meaning "crown".



  Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 09:49 PM   #50 (permalink)
herp derp Apprentice
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Lawrence, KS
Posts: 1,036

Saturn-sold - '99 saturn sc1
Team Saturn
90 day: 28.28 mpg (US)

Yukon - '03 GMC Yukon Denali
90 day: 14.94 mpg (US)
Thanks: 43
Thanked 321 Times in 228 Posts
IF the lack of engine braking is the only malfunction of the transmission (I think it's probably a normal condition anyway) it wouldn't make sense to rebuild the transmission just to resolve the issue

  Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 2000mc For This Useful Post:
SilverCrown9701 (09-10-2014)
Reply  Post New Thread


Thread Tools




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
All content copyright EcoModder.com