View Single Post
Old 09-10-2014, 03:55 PM   #43 (permalink)
SilverCrown9701
EcoModding Apprentice

SilverCrown - '01 Toyota Camry LE
Team Toyota
90 day: 35.32 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by XYZ View Post
This doesn't sound right. When in drive there should be some engine braking. When in neutral, there should be none. Check to see if one of your brakes is hanging up and causing rolling resistance.

I can feel it coasting freely but it starts to slow down at the same rate as engine braking does. I like the Toyota dealership service center but theyre so expensive. Who do you know is reasonable on checking brakes? I don't know much about checking brakes.

When you shift into neutral to coast, what you will feel is the release of the transmission. It should feel like there is nothing holding you back. However, the re-engagement in to drive is what concerns me. At higher speeds, such as 40-50, feeling a jerk and lurch when shifting back into drive means it might be detrimental to your transmission. When is the last time you checked the color and smell of your transmission fluid?
That concerns me as well. I had my fluid changed last year at Toyota Service Center.