View Single Post
Old 09-14-2014, 06:34 AM   #11 (permalink)
accord_minded
Is this thing on?

The Wilbert - '04 Honda Accord EX
Team Honda
90 day: 37.54 mpg (US)
Summary of the basic aeromods: 2) Wheel covers

I spent a LOT of time reading up on ways of adding wheel covers to alloy wheels. A LOT of time. There are a lot of ingenious things folks are doing, but it seemed like most involved the use of equipment (e.g. drill presses) and skillz I don't have. I bought pizza pans. I noodled around with various ways of attaching them, etc. But I wasn't comfortable with pizza pans attached only with zipties.

So, I went with the default of coroplast and zipties. Simple solution, cheap, and easy to undo.

However, since they are butt ugly, I have two thoughts on improving the look. One is to paint them a metallic alloy color (which I've done, but don't have a photo yet). That is helping to tone down the stark white/black contrast.

The second idea I had is to take a high rez picture of the original wheels and take it to a sign shop and have them print four full-size versions on adhesive sign material and stick them onto the coroplast. So you'd basically have a picture of the original wheel on top of the coroplast. Might be too expensive and might look sh*tty, too, but I'm going to investigate.

Anyway, here's what the wheel covers look like as tested.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wheels.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	136.3 KB
ID:	15815   Click image for larger version

Name:	wheel2.jpg
Views:	626
Size:	144.1 KB
ID:	15816  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to accord_minded For This Useful Post:
aerohead (09-25-2014), MetroMPG (10-02-2014)