View Single Post
Old 09-14-2014, 06:46 AM   #12 (permalink)
accord_minded
Is this thing on?

The Wilbert - '04 Honda Accord EX
Team Honda
90 day: 37.54 mpg (US)
Summary of basic aeromods: 3) and 4) Grill blocks

The lower grill block was made from coroplast with a slotted opening and cover that I could raise and lower. I don't think I'm going to have an overheating problem (haven't fully tested yet, tho), but I thought I would go ahead and add the sliding cover while doing the original build, just in case I need it later.

I made the slotted 'window' track by epoxying some additional pieces of aluminum.

The upper grill block, alas, is just clear tape. Not happy with that from a design point of view, but it is easy to remove and I can do something a bit more elegant some time in the future. For the A-B-A test, I only had tape over half of the upper grill since on a test run, with both lower and upper grill completely covered, engine temp went up to 220 pretty quickly. With only half the upper grill covered, temp was around 205 (normal temp is around 186).

The last image shows both grill blocks 'installed' (I hesitate using 'installed' when referring to tape). The lower one has been painted black, obviously. It was attached to the car with black zipties. Seems pretty secure.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	grill_block_closed.jpg
Views:	548
Size:	146.5 KB
ID:	15821   Click image for larger version

Name:	grill_block_open.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	139.6 KB
ID:	15822   Click image for larger version

Name:	grill_blocks.jpg
Views:	618
Size:	125.3 KB
ID:	15823  

Last edited by accord_minded; 09-14-2014 at 07:04 AM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to accord_minded For This Useful Post:
aerohead (09-25-2014), MetroMPG (10-02-2014)