View Single Post
Old 09-17-2014, 10:32 AM   #24 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
I really do not know about erratic. Pulse-and-glide maybe, but if I am not doing that, I maintain my chosen speed, but watch everyone else speed up and slow down. I do not have cruise control, but I imagine that most other cars do, and I do not understand driving on the freeway and voluntarily not using it.

I randomly found this yesterday:
Quote:
Reasonable suspicion: "Drifting back in forth in own lane, driving 10-15mph under speed limit, etc to make a stop to investigate DUI."
Reasonable Suspicion

Weaving and leaving your lane is an violation and they can pull you over for that. However, drifting back and forth within your own lane is legal, but not economical. I have had people drive me and after crossing into the other lane or the shoulder a few times, I say "Hey! Stay in your lane! The police will pull you over for that!"

They just laugh at me.

I remember reading the post of one Insight owner that wrote he had a thirty-five minute commute and he left the house early enough to drive 35 MPH for an hour and make it to work on time. I imagine that if he is driving thirty-five miles, he must have some freeway driving, and surface streets with much higher speed limits than that. As long as there are multiple lanes, people can pass you. When I coast to red lights, I often wonder if I could ever be pulled over for impeding traffic, when that is the entire purpose of the traffic control system.

Driving slower is usually more economical, especially since you are not speeding up and slowing down due to other traffic, and unless you are the slowest car on the road, you will be passing slower cars, so I do not agree with the argument that you are creating a dangerous situation by forcing cars to go around you. Everybody drives a different speed and does not necessarily drive a consistent speed. Cars always pass each other.

If driving 35 MPH is the only way to time the lights, then you are not holding up traffic, the lights will do that.

I do not think that driving slower than traffic is by itself erratic, what other hypermiling techniques could be considered that?