View Single Post
Old 09-20-2014, 12:26 PM   #14 (permalink)
Chrysler kid
5 pin sensor

Zippy - '96 Honda Civic Hx
Team Honda
90 day: 40.77 mpg (US)

Boring - '11 Ford Fusion Sel
90 day: 21.88 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhigh View Post
I'll be curious to know how well your vacuum gauge behaves; I installed a vac gauge in my truck a few years ago and was well pleased with it until it started to walk out of calibration.

I took it apart - which was a major undertaking as it had been pressed together, no fasteners - and reset its needle, but it walked out again. It lives showing about 10" vacuum when the engine is off. It came to rest at about that level both times, and now I just subtract 10" all the time. Even so it's useful to give a moment-by-moment idea of how well you're doing, but if yours does better, I'd love to know.
9 times out of ten when the unit fails its from the pressure fitting from the dial like you mentioned. Also plan to run some durable rubber fuel line hosing instead of the cheap clear stuff.

I haven't had any problems with any of my older boost gauges, however I believe vacuum will tell you a lot more on a little 4 cylinder than my fuel injected v8, now a carb on the other hand I would thing vacuum would be useful for tuning

My civic thread