Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2014, 02:14 AM   #11 (permalink)
5 pin sensor

Zippy - '96 Honda Civic Hx
Team Honda
90 day: 40.77 mpg (US)

Boring - '11 Ford Fusion Sel
90 day: 21.88 mpg (US)
Ooh updates

Ordered a vacuum gauge from amazon I will be putting in the car. I also have a narrow band AF gauge and a temperature gauge in the spare parts bin

Also this just popped up locally and is extremely tempting. My car runs fine but I could use the trans and any spare parts. If the seller pulled this out for a swap I could definitely make money selling my JDM LSD trans and pick up a factory one and maybe even a factory light weight flywheel

My civic thread

Last edited by Chrysler kid; 09-19-2014 at 02:28 AM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-19-2014, 09:54 AM   #12 (permalink)
Master Novice

Josie - '87 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 29.5 mpg (US)

Felicia - '09 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 49.62 mpg (US)
I'll be curious to know how well your vacuum gauge behaves; I installed a vac gauge in my truck a few years ago and was well pleased with it until it started to walk out of calibration.

I took it apart - which was a major undertaking as it had been pressed together, no fasteners - and reset its needle, but it walked out again. It lives showing about 10" vacuum when the engine is off. It came to rest at about that level both times, and now I just subtract 10" all the time. Even so it's useful to give a moment-by-moment idea of how well you're doing, but if yours does better, I'd love to know.

Lead or follow. Either is fine.
Old 09-19-2014, 06:13 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhigh View Post
I'll be curious to know how well your vacuum gauge behaves; I installed a vac gauge in my truck a few years ago and was well pleased with it until it started to walk out of calibration.

I took it apart - which was a major undertaking as it had been pressed together, no fasteners - and reset its needle, but it walked out again. It lives showing about 10" vacuum when the engine is off. It came to rest at about that level both times, and now I just subtract 10" all the time. Even so it's useful to give a moment-by-moment idea of how well you're doing, but if yours does better, I'd love to know.
Where did you connect the gauge?

Vacuum is maintained in part of the system even if the engine is turned off...

2001 Civic HX Mods

CTS-V

2003 Silverado Mods
Old 09-20-2014, 12:26 PM   #14 (permalink)
5 pin sensor

Team Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhigh View Post

9 times out of ten when the unit fails its from the pressure fitting from the dial like you mentioned. Also plan to run some durable rubber fuel line hosing instead of the cheap clear stuff.

I haven't had any problems with any of my older boost gauges, however I believe vacuum will tell you a lot more on a little 4 cylinder than my fuel injected v8, now a carb on the other hand I would thing vacuum would be useful for tuning

My civic thread
Old 09-28-2014, 01:25 AM   #15 (permalink)
5 pin sensor

Team Honda

Bit of an update I cleaned off the egr system and got rid of the code.

I also got the vacuum gauge installed

I also changed out the eBay filter in favor of a paper style. No specific performance or mileage reason however the oil type filters seem to always leave intakes and sensors in my vehicles dirty. The paper filters do a better job of actually filtering out dirt . the car came with the intake and I have not been able to find a stock intake system for under $80. The eBay filter had also worn a hole through the bottom of the filter element, as they always seem to, where as the paper style is more rigid and thicker with foam rubberish ends

Also has no effect on efficiency however I stumbled upon a civic clear timing cover on eBay. While not really of any important immediate use I feel this modification will add tons of residual value to keep the next owners involved In this car should I ever sell it

No real gas mileage update, I'm at 200 miles at a half tank of gas. I'll receive the cover sometime next week and post an update

My civic thread

Last edited by Chrysler kid; 09-28-2014 at 01:46 AM..
Old 09-29-2014, 03:00 PM   #16 (permalink)
5 pin sensor

Team Honda

Still at half tank of gas now at 250 miles

Pretty excited about this cover. It is a unique piece, if you image search google there are only 2 pictures of one on a car

Picking up a valve cover gasket on the way home from work and installing tonight

My civic thread
Old 09-29-2014, 11:49 PM   #17 (permalink)
5 pin sensor

Team Honda

Yeah so wasn't as easy as planned. The cover fitment was decent but it was much tighter than my factory 300k miles cover

I also broke a valve cover bolt off in the head however it came out extremely easily thank god

Pretty clean for 300k miles

Only a little bit of build up.

Timing belt is a fresh Kevlar. Good to see the previous owner was honest about maintenance

Grrrrrr

All wrapped up. Pleased with the results, only $20 shipped for the clear timing cover

My civic thread
Old 09-30-2014, 04:37 AM   #18 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Where did you order your lip? I made one from lawn edging and it looked okay, but did not sit very flush. I originally shrunk it slightly with a ray gun, but when I tried to shrink it more, it just started sagging. I should have enough to try again, but it will be frustrating to line up the original screw holes, I was not happy putting those in my bumper and do not want to make more!

At least one member on here has used Allstar Performance Rolled Plastic and I am tempted to try it as well.

Quote:
This Allstar Performance rolled plastic is commonly used for spoilers, skirts, and body patchwork.
Old 09-30-2014, 12:50 PM   #19 (permalink)
5 pin sensor

Team Honda

I ordered it from amazon. It was $30 shipped, I think they are cheaper than that on eBay now

I have not tried the lawn edging but I have seen it done cleanly before. Be patient with it and use some tape to hold it in place as you find the points you want to mount.

I never intended the lip to be functional as an aero dynamic mod just a visual modification. I do 100% of my driving under 55mph so its all about the aesthetics and not aerodynamics lol

My civic thread

Last edited by Chrysler kid; 10-01-2014 at 01:44 AM..
Old 09-30-2014, 05:58 PM   #20 (permalink)
5 pin sensor

Team Honda

Here is a recap of my last civic build. I sold it when I happened across a very low mileage 2011 ford fusion sel for $8900

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrysler kid View Post
I started off searching for a civic for a daily driver for about 3-4 months, my criteria was the car needed to have ac ps and be a manual 92-00 civic coupe or hatch for under $3k. I was very strict about no quarter panel damage or major dents. My truck was getting terrible gas mileage and the camaro is reserved for track duty, and my formula is the curse of the devil on my life

Use my thread to help you decide what you want to buy in a car. There is some real junk out there right now

I saw many clapped out vehicles, busted up repo cars, dented up kids cars, to neglected beaters but nothing was clean enough.

I happened to find my car about a month ago. The owner was very straight forward and a nice kid who was moving back to Colorado.

The car was immaculate inside but too perfect outside. The perfect condition paint on the front was a sure indicator that it had been in a front end collision, in this case it was a plus. The paint was immaculate and all panels lined up. Since it was wrecked I was able to settle on a fair price. Previous owner wasn't sure what happened to the original wheels but I was sure I could find some

Went home and inspected the repaired front end and all was as I thought, replaced correctly

Well I did find an issue, the motor mount was gone at 185k. The timing belt is in good shape and the plugs needed to be replaced but maintenance wise I was good to go

Good to go

Soo I was off. The first thing I wanted was a set of fog lights and a lip since they are easy to find. I ordered off of ama...com. I got the parts and they fit well, but the fog lights were terrible

As you can see, if you ever order a set of these fake fogs be warned you need to seal them around where the housing and the glass section meet the bracket

I also ordered a set of window visors. Very happy with them, fit and finish was great for $30

The major issue with every civic I found was paint clarity. With a thin clear coat on them the reflection of these vehicles get very hazy. I spent about 6 hours wet sanding the car and hitting it with me guitars m205 and a rotary buffer with a mixture of soft foam pads. I know it seems redundant on a silver car and the picture is kind of over exposed but the clarity in the reflection is immaculate now

I also happened to come across a set of hx wheels on Craigslist. Very happy with them, getting an extra 2-3 mpg highway from them

And now I am searching for a 96-98 civic ex radio/cd player to put keyless entry back into my car

The car also needs a new windshield wiper motor, but I am having a tough time shelling out $80 to get the min setting on the wipers fully functional again

I know it is not much of a thread yet but I love documenting my vehicles and I am extremely pleased with my civic.

My civic thread
Reply  Post New Thread