View Single Post
Old 09-21-2014, 02:33 PM   #76 (permalink)
XYZ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
I did try to make it clear that I was NOT talking about interactions in traffic stops or similar, as naturally my opinions on those could be seen as biased. I was talking about interacting in non-professional ways with people who happened to be police officers.
Oh, now I see what you meant: off-duty cops that act like they are "Little Ceasar" even when they are not on-duty. I agree with you. Some people seem to carry the stresses of the job with them 24/7. But it's not just cops. Arrogance seems to affect many who are in positions of power and authority: judges, lawyers, politicians, etc. Those professions seem to attract that type of personality.

The off-duty cops who act pompously are usually incapable of changing back to civil, civilian roles when they are not in uniform. But not every cop is a SOB. My relatively new neighbor is an ex-cop who retired from the force with a minor injury disability. He recently was accepted into the training academy to be a State trooper. He is very congenial and a very nice guy when not in uniform. But his whole demeanor is entirely different when he is in uniform. His look is that of someone you would not want to tangle with.

Quote:
You could try a simple experiment yourself. Visit a police station with some simple request, and compare the attitude & manners of the police with those of a business employee faced with a similar request. The business employee will probably be polite and try to be helpful, while in all likelihood the police will be arrogant and condescending. Yes, it's an attitude problem: THEIR attitude.
Having done so, I haven't seen much difference. I've found arrogant bureaucrats, especially in governmental agencies. Police stations suspect everyone who walks in the door, because most people who do come in are problematic. However, if you are polite and ask for help in a friendly manner they will usually be businesslike.