Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2014, 04:36 PM   #71 (permalink)
XYZ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
Amazing how you managed to figure that out! [/sarcasm]

But I wish you would explain why my attitude, or the attitude of any person who's been on the receiving end of the police experience, wouldn't be anti-police?
Virtually everyone who has been driving for any number of years has experienced a traffic stop. But not everyone has the same negative attitude you do - which suggests that perhaps there is something about your demeanor that is inviting a negative interaction between you and the police.

Quote:
Or indeed, why it is that the real problem is the police attitude? If I think back on all the interactions I've had with police officers - I mean what you might call the 'social' ones, not me getting stopped/arrested or such - I can't instantly recall more that a in which the officer did not act like an overbearing, arrogant jerk.
So you are saying that EVERY time you have been stopped the officer ALWAYS acted like an overbearing, arrogant jerk? Or does it just seem that way, in that your memory focuses on the worst experiences you had?

You cannot change anyone's attitude towards you, but you can change the way in which you respond to it.
Quote:
So why should I like people who tend to act like that?
No one said you had to like it. But you do need to cope with it more effectively without becoming offended. My suggestion and advice to anyone who experiences a traffic stop is that you take on the calm and polite but firm demeanor of a lawyer. For all the cop knows, you may actually BE a lawyer - but only if you act like one. If there is anything objectionable about the cop's treatment of you, immediately take a pen and paper and begin recording the cop's name, badge number, and take notes about everything as it transpires. You have a legal right to do so. Cops may dislike it, but they do respect (and even fear) anyone who is capable of preparing and building a case.

Old Mech gave similar advice in post #23:
Quote:
dave, your post indicates you have said considerably more than "a word". Even though a law officer can shoot you dead on the spot, I don't fear them. I do respect them until they give me reason to not respect them, which I keep to myself and save for the judge. A cop can't convict me of anything.

Look them straight in the eye, without malice, and speak truthfully. After that the situation is totally in their control and they can make that a two hour ordeal with dope sniffing dogs and a detailed inspection of everything in your car, down to the pot seed that was left there two owners ago.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-20-2014, 11:54 PM   #72 (permalink)
Just cruisin’ along

Beater Echo - '00 Toyota Echo
90 day: 42.67 mpg (US)

Hondizzle - '97 Honda Civic DX
Team Honda
90 day: 46.55 mpg (US)

Shaggin Waggin - '14 Chrysler Town + Country
90 day: 22.56 mpg (US)
Dunno about Hondas...never had one. But when I got a ticket a month ago, they searched my car for no conceivable reason other than that I was in a poor person car (my Echo is beat almost beyond recognition).

'97 Honda Civic DX Coupe 5MT - dead 2/23
'00 Echo - dead 2/17
'14 Chrysler Town + Country - My DD, for now
'67 Mustang Convertible - gone 1/17
Old 09-21-2014, 01:44 AM   #73 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by XYZ View Post
But not everyone has the same negative attitude you do - which suggests that perhaps there is something about your demeanor that is inviting a negative interaction between you and the police.
I'd say that if police officers aren't professional enough to disregard the demeanor of the people they interact with, then that is just another part of their problem.

Quote:
So you are saying that EVERY time you have been stopped the officer ALWAYS acted like an overbearing, arrogant jerk? Or does it just seem that way, in that your memory focuses on the worst experiences you had?
I did try to make it clear that I was NOT talking about interactions in traffic stops or similar, as naturally my opinions on those could be seen as biased. I was talking about interacting in non-professional ways with people who happened to be police officers. For an instance, some years ago I was in a martial arts class with two men who were police officers. These two - both over 6' and fairly muscular - took positive delight in hitting the smaller students hard enough to seriously hurt them, until the sensei finally ejected them from the class. Or my ex's cousin, who after leaving her abusive cop husband, found herself being constantly followed by cop cars, and stopped on flimsy pretexts.

You could try a simple experiment yourself. Visit a police station with some simple request, and compare the attitude & manners of the police with those of a business employee faced with a similar request. The business employee will probably be polite and try to be helpful, while in all likelihood the police will be arrogant and condescending. Yes, it's an attitude problem: THEIR attitude.
Old 09-21-2014, 02:35 AM   #74 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.79 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
JCP, I am sorry for your experience. Everybody else, please drive safely and observe local ordinances on your way home.

The Following User Says Thank You to Xist For This Useful Post:
Cobb (09-21-2014)
Old 09-21-2014, 02:39 AM   #75 (permalink)
herp derp Apprentice

Saturn-sold - '99 saturn sc1
Team Saturn
90 day: 28.28 mpg (US)

Yukon - '03 GMC Yukon Denali
90 day: 13.74 mpg (US)
A couple days after being stopped for having one of those flickering high beam modules on a motorcycle, I stoped into the station for clarification on why it wasn't allowed, and some other question about something with lights and what someone can do for being visibile on a motorcycle. No issues with them then
A few years ago just after moving to a new town, my wife parked somewhere she shouldn't have, car got towed, car was in my name, had some paperwork to fill out, but didn't get any attitude.
I guess I did get some unsolicited attitude once, (in the days before everyone had a cell phone) had a different motorcycle lose all electrical power while going down the highway, on the way to work. rolled to a stop on the shoulder, found the main fuse blown, tried a spare, blew as soon as I touched it to the terminals even with the key off. Decide to walk up to a near by house, I made it about 3 steps from the bike as an unmarked crown Vic pulls up infront of me. 2 cops get out, one of them says "looks like you could use a good mechanic" - I was wearing my uniform, and was a mechanic at a well known shop about 5miles away, but as quickly as he offered me a zinger, he offered me his personal cell phone so I could find a ride and let work know I was going to be late
The Following User Says Thank You to 2000mc For This Useful Post:
roosterk0031 (09-21-2014)
Old 09-21-2014, 02:33 PM   #76 (permalink)
XYZ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
I did try to make it clear that I was NOT talking about interactions in traffic stops or similar, as naturally my opinions on those could be seen as biased. I was talking about interacting in non-professional ways with people who happened to be police officers.
Oh, now I see what you meant: off-duty cops that act like they are "Little Ceasar" even when they are not on-duty. I agree with you. Some people seem to carry the stresses of the job with them 24/7. But it's not just cops. Arrogance seems to affect many who are in positions of power and authority: judges, lawyers, politicians, etc. Those professions seem to attract that type of personality.

The off-duty cops who act pompously are usually incapable of changing back to civil, civilian roles when they are not in uniform. But not every cop is a SOB. My relatively new neighbor is an ex-cop who retired from the force with a minor injury disability. He recently was accepted into the training academy to be a State trooper. He is very congenial and a very nice guy when not in uniform. But his whole demeanor is entirely different when he is in uniform. His look is that of someone you would not want to tangle with.

Quote:
You could try a simple experiment yourself. Visit a police station with some simple request, and compare the attitude & manners of the police with those of a business employee faced with a similar request. The business employee will probably be polite and try to be helpful, while in all likelihood the police will be arrogant and condescending. Yes, it's an attitude problem: THEIR attitude.
Having done so, I haven't seen much difference. I've found arrogant bureaucrats, especially in governmental agencies. Police stations suspect everyone who walks in the door, because most people who do come in are problematic. However, if you are polite and ask for help in a friendly manner they will usually be businesslike.
Old 09-22-2014, 01:23 PM   #77 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by XYZ View Post
But it's not just cops. Arrogance seems to affect many who are in positions of power and authority: judges, lawyers, politicians, etc. Those professions seem to attract that type of personality.
Exactly. And we have to experience the results/

Quote:
The off-duty cops who act pompously are usually incapable of changing back to civil, civilian roles when they are not in uniform.
The problem, though, is that they act that way when they ARE in uniform. Which creates a vicious circle: not many people take pleasure in interacting with an arrogant SOB, so those interactions create dislike & distrust among the general population, so the cops & their fans 'circle the wagons' and become even more arrogant & defensive...

Quote:
But not every cop is a SOB.
Sure. They are, after all, individuals. But as with those other professions, the odds are way stacked in favor of them being SOBs. And even those who are not SOBs by nature will defend their fellows.

Reply  Post New Thread