View Single Post
Old 09-26-2014, 05:31 AM   #78 (permalink)
suspectnumber961
EcoModding Alien Observer

highcountryexplorer - '86 Nissan 720 KC 4x4 ST with fiberglass cap
90 day: 21.78 mpg (US)

Elroy - '03 Ford Focus ZX3 w/Zetec DOHC engine
90 day: 32.89 mpg (US)
A couple of things I can add:

* I see no mention of how fast to accelerate. Because of the way gas engines are designed...with a throttle plate...it is usally more efficient to accelerate briskly...due to the fact that there is less restriction on the intake air when the throttle plate is farther open...WITHIN LIMITS of course. So you CAN have your cake and eat it too? This only works if you THINK AHEAD....and anticipate traffic/stops ahead.

* I do try to coast down to 25 at stops and corners...but I don't mess with neutral or shutting the engine off (auto). I use a SG...and can see an obvious difference in mpg in N vs D. But it's too easy to get sloppy and possibly get into the wrong gear messing with neutral...so I don't do it.

* For a while I tried scrubbing speed off on corners by entering them a bit fast...but this WILL result in inner edge tire wear....so considering the cost of tires...not likely to be a winner.

As far as auto transmissions...I always flush then from the radiator cooling lines....and also change the filter (no cheapies here!)/clean the pan. I also add a large neo magnet under the trans pan. I use synth trans oil...plus some Lubegard additive. This is preventive maintenance. Trannies are expensive to have fixed...and most can't do them themselves.

Forty-six percent of Americans believe in the creationist view that God created humans in their present form at one time within the last 10,000 years. GALLUP POLL
The Following User Says Thank You to suspectnumber961 For This Useful Post:
SilverCrown9701 (09-26-2014)