View Single Post
Old 09-29-2014, 01:22 PM   #24 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 57.64 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)
Thanked 4,378 Times in 3,353 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
Its exterior design looks good regarding efficiency, but one can easily bet it would have a lower environmental footprint thru its lifetime with a manual transmission and some smaller engine...
Yes yes, but the Prius was designed to be driven by Uhmericans, and we don't know how to drive a manual, and can't stand to be in anything that can't accelerate like a rocket.

The Gen II prius had a smaller engine, but Toyota put a larger engine in the Gen III to increase torque and keep the electric motor from working so often.

The car is meant to be driven normally, which means it was meant to be driven poorly. Customers want the car to respond normally when they drive it poorly, while still getting good fuel economy.

That said, even though there are tons of compromises in the design of the Prius, there are still ways to hypermile the heck out of 'em.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Charlie View Post
Most of the ones who care about mpg want the car to give it to them.
Exactly.

I'm constantly correcting people on other car forums who complain about their fuel economy. For instance, someone on the Acura TSX forum was asking what else besides a CAI they could buy to improve the fuel economy of their car, because it was only getting 20 mpg. I had to correct them by saying they are only getting 20 mpg, and that I'm getting 31, and a CAI would do the opposite of what they wanted.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!