View Single Post
Old 09-29-2014, 05:50 PM   #6886 (permalink)
jedsmd
PLUGnGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPaulHolmes View Post

J3 is the valet mode option. But the controller is so dang smooth, that you may not need it! haha

Paul is right about the controller being smooth. It responds to the pedal beautifully - even when creeping along with the motor barely turning. The controller also responds well to sudden throttle changes - keeps right up with no overshoot.

850 miles on my controller now

Just a few notes for anyone considering the controller for their vehicle:
  • It works well, but it is in beta version so still a little rough around the edges, Fortunately it has really great tech support.
  • It is big, about 15" x 12" x 5". Okay for my pickup truck, but would be tough to get into a tight engine compartment.
  • It is powerful, I limit it to 900 amps but it can do 1500 or so (waiting to read reports from the guys running full power). I use it with a LiFePo4 battery pack, I think it would be pretty hard on a lead acid pack.
  • For me it works much better with a Hall sensor throttle than a resistance pot.
  • Paul's spread spectrum PWM make a rushing water sound on acceleration. I like it, YOMV. Other options can be programed.
  • Air cooling seems to be adequate for daily commute type driving. (Again waiting to hear from the guys running higher power)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jedsmd For This Useful Post:
Astro (09-30-2014), flores (09-30-2014), MPaulHolmes (09-29-2014), thingstodo (09-30-2014)