View Single Post
Old 09-29-2014, 06:45 PM   #1147 (permalink)
Astro
Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPaulHolmes View Post
That is an engineering crime. Why don't they advertise the LED bulb as 1000 hours, due entirely to a 10 cent 1000 hour life part. It sounds intentional. These dang LEDs last forever. How can we put a limited life on them? Why don't they just add a timing circuit, set to 1000 hours. After the time limit, a relay opens for no good reason, and the part ceases to work. At least then they wouldnt have to mask the intentional failure as incompetence. In modest bulk, 22uf MLCC caps in the controller are like 25 cents each. Their life is rated for 6700 years (24 hours per day at rated temperature I believe, which is friggen 125 degC). You could run it in boiling water until we are all morlochs and eloi. LOL.

IIt's a shame, because I've heard that the led bulbs have a limited life, and always wondered why. It's intentional.
Laziness, indifference and cost.
I would bet the factory that put that light together did so with whatever were the cheapest components/modules that would work. Some other factory probably made the switchmode supply for some other purpose and the LED factory could get them real cheap seeing as they have no electrical isolation or some other issue. The designer at the LED factory is then told to get it to work without spending a cent. So he chucks some electrical tape around it to stop it shorting out straight out of the box.
Tells the boss the circuit will only last a couple of years and the boss says well done.
Fire up the production line, cheap switch mode supply, no failure within the time the customer can come back to them for their money back. Boss is happy. They sell heaps of them because they are 10 cents cheaper than everybody else.
This is not the device you want to buy.

If you are lucky you find a factory that was producing stuff for a company that had high quality control standards and the entire device was designed rather than cobbled together from whatever was handy/cheap.
That fatory produced the quantity that the company contracted them for but once the production line is up and running they don't shut it down when they reach their quota. No they keep making the device, then they sell them direct on eBay or something. Undercutting the company that designed the device.
That is the device you hope to get.
Cheap because it is a rip off of somebody else's work not because it is made of cheap parts to a cheap design.

And now for something more on topic.

Forward and reverse on a 3 phase motor.
Am i right in thinking that the controller can be asked to reverse the motor direction or you can just swap any two of the phase cables to reverse the motor direction?
Just want to make sure the default motor direction is the correct direction for the gearbox.
I don't need 5 reverse gears.

Paul what happens to the controller if it tries to spin the motor in one direction but the encoder says it is spinning the other direction? Does it care about encoder direction or just relative movement of the encoder?

Astro
The Following User Says Thank You to Astro For This Useful Post:
thingstodo (09-29-2014)