View Single Post
Old 10-02-2014, 05:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
darcane

There are at least a couple users on here who has been trying to get a product to come to life. Bondo has been working on an aerocap for a truck, there is a new user making an aerodynamic front bumper, and I recall someone selling simple, aerodynamic wheel covers.

Most mods on this site are low-cost and have minimal development cycles (typically one...) and are a long ways off from being marketable.

Once you start getting into for-profit products, you need to start researching applicable standards and codes to verify you are not bringing an illegal product to market. This can be an onerous process especially if you are not familiar with what standards and codes would apply. I'm not sure what all would apply, but at the very least you would have meet the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards.

I've thought about it myself but don't have the time or money to invest in developing a product and I know very little about running a business. My thoughts are that you would have to start with parts that are relatively universal (like wheel covers) to get a wide enough market for the numbers to pan out.

2001 Civic HX Mods

CTS-V

2003 Silverado Mods
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to darcane For This Useful Post:
FordFiestaS (10-02-2014), mcrews (10-02-2014)