View Single Post
Old 10-08-2014, 03:07 PM   #88 (permalink)
OG VX
JDM hypeR mileR

The OG VX - '92 Honda Civic VX
Team Honda
90 day: 68.64 mpg (US)
Update 10/8/2014: MPGuino wiring and Custom Housing; Part Two

Work has been busy of late, but I have made some great progress on the MPGuino wiring and housing.

I’ll let the pics do much of the talking.

Still a bit to go, but almost there!

A BIG thanks to member Ecky who sold me this MPGuino. Great guy and answered, ohhh…about 50 questions (accurate stat) I had on small-board electronics/power/wiring/etc…

MPGuino Pics/Progress:

Custom Housing Progress: (Re-Designed Box Shape)

New box-type design gives the needed room inside for screen install and wires

Fiberglass was then applied (no pics of that sorry), and then a thick layer of BondoGlass was added to build up the form and structural strength.

Once that dried, it was then sanded to shape:

Then Bondo was applied, then sanded to the finished shape:

Final fitment of the screen, another Bondo layer or two, then prime/paint work can start.

As you can see, after some deliberating, I opted to cut the dual pod in half, as I was having visibility issues to the lower pod (vacuum gauge) after switching to the revised boxed-in shape.

To connect the two pods, I would have had to cut them apart and then “stretched” the pods a good 2.5” apart and fiber-glassed in the stretch. I was afraid that the shape would have become distorted post-stretch, and that it would have turned out a hot mess. So, I’ll just mount them separately on the pillar. However, I don’t think it will be a big deal.

I think I’ll add a layer of “hammered” paint just prior to final color/top coat on the MPGuino pod, to give it a similar texture to that of the existing grain texture on the vacuum gauge pod and the OEM pillar.

That’s it for now. Be back soon with more progress.

Thanks for eco-tuning in!
"Yesterday as I was going in to the shop, I came upon a recently killed Armadillo in the middle of the road with one front leg sticking up. As I passed over him he "High Fived" my air dam. I thought that showed a great attitude on his part." -The Donkey CRX

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to OG VX For This Useful Post:
California98Civic (10-09-2014), Daox (10-08-2014), pgfpro (10-09-2014), user removed (11-09-2014)