View Single Post
Old 10-15-2014, 01:06 AM   #6 (permalink)
nightrunner
EcoModding Lurker

CrimsonVic - '14 Honda Civic EX
90 day: 38.32 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb View Post
Welcome aboard.

Are you using eco mode? Have you tried with it on and off?
This commute was done without the Eco mode. Last week I drove with Eco mode on for every commute and my best was 47.7. It's going to take some more driving before I can say if it does or doesn't make a difference.

I am planning on blocking off the grille, especially since its starting to cool off here in MI already, hopefully that will yield a slight increase. Also going to try increasing the tire pressure.

I have started a fuel log and over my 3 fill ups now the trip computer and fuel economy displays are spot on with my fill up calculations so far.

I have the auto CVT trans so I am leary about trying any more advanced hypermiling techniques such as pulse and glide. I am just concerned with the long term effects of shifting the transmission to neutral and then reengaging in drive while moving at speed. I have put it in neutral and coasted to a stop at a light or stop sign or into a parking spot. What's bringing my tank average down is taking my daughter to school in the morning. Its such a short drive the car never has a chance to reach full operating temperature. And I have to play musical cars with my wife in the morning. Backing my car out of the driveway so she can get out and head to work, then pulling back in and waiting to take my daughter to school. I do wish it were a manual, I'm sure I could do a little better but I do like the convenience of the auto and for a CVT its pretty nice. Much better than the CVT in my wife's Jeep Compass. Thanks to all the posters on this forum and all of the great information being shared.