View Single Post
Old 10-24-2014, 05:33 PM   #64 (permalink)
serialk11r
Master EcoModder

spyder2 - '00 Toyota MR2 Spyder
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTAIN CHAOS View Post
Threads like this are part of why I come here.

Personally, I agree that drivers have become so ‘disconnected’ from the cars that much of the joy of ‘driving’ has been lost.

Nearly every driver input on a new car goes through a ‘committee’ and is ‘approved’ or ‘modified’ before being transmitted into actual change. How long before the steering is done through the computer and the driver is nothing more than a passenger (don’t think they’re not working on it)?
Well, e-throttle is a good idea because it allows the cam timing actuators, throttle, and injection to work in unison. A reactive system as with cable throttles is inherently difficult to get running both smoothly/cleanly and with quick response. The Lexus LFA had to be tuned very carefully to allow cable throttle in 2010. I'd say it's a good thing that we're letting engine management do its job and take care of running the engine, which is a critical and inherently complex function.

However automatic transmissions are far worse, because they have to translate that gas pedal reading into acceleration, not just torque.

Steer by wire already exists, Lexus LS460, and basically the entire Infiniti lineup has it. The steering wheel and steering rack have no physical connection that is. The weird thing is they have an electric motor resisting your steering inputs so that there is some "feel". Makes you wonder why they don't just hook up the steering wheel to you know, the wheels.

Brake by wire is already fairly common, and fully vectored braking is pretty common. This is the one other automated thing I don't mind, because it seems better to use the brakes this way than trying to get more grip using limited slip differentials and crappy traction control systems. However I hate the idea of automatic braking.

Last edited by serialk11r; 10-24-2014 at 05:42 PM..