View Single Post
Old 10-24-2014, 11:15 PM   #135 (permalink)
e*clipse
Permanent Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyruscosmo View Post
Those oil scavenge pumps were actually designed for turbos mounted in places where the oil drain back was not up to spec. Also when adding turbos in applications where there were non in the first place. Like this example... APS Intercooled Twin Turbo Pontiac G8/Holden Commodore.

Those turbos would not drain back into the oil sump well if at all and need a scavenge pump to keep oil from getting into the air intake.

Cyruscosmo
That's a cool, clean application ( the Holden Commodore ). I wonder what they use for an oil pump?

Actually, I am aware of the issue; I installed a much bigger turbo than spec for the diesel engine ( also not spec ) in my truck. The turbo commonly puts out about 10psi or 12psi, with common peaks at about 18psi boost, and can peak higher than that. A major concern about the install (including exhaust manifold, intercooler, intake manifold, etc, was the problem of getting rid of the oil that was fed to the turbo. In my case, I could still rely on gravity, and just scaled up the drain. I've had no issues with oily intake air.

The reason I liked the particular pump I was referring to is reliability. Sure, it's overkill, but the motor didn't have brushes to wear out AND the care they took to make a quality oil pump was impressive. Again, if the pump is critical for the motor's lubrication (like the importance of scavaging a turbo) I would pay attention to this.

- E*clipse
The Following User Says Thank You to e*clipse For This Useful Post:
thingstodo (10-25-2014)