View Single Post
Old 10-26-2014, 10:10 AM   #138 (permalink)
freebeard
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,586 Times in 7,070 Posts
Thanks for the offer. I could just as easily have said "If I were to get the motor mounts parts shown..." My thinking is that I should use either the VW transmission mounts for their rubber bushings, or the comparable Toyota parts. And those are sized properly for the weight and torque they will carry.

The round puck at the back seems straightforward enough. That part will incorporate a trailer hitch receiver.

The crossbar (part 52380x) at the front runs over the mount with the mounting bolts pointed down. A straight bar with the bolts pointing up into the sheet metal and tied to a 4-point roll cage would be one option. Another would be to use the stock crossbar and stand it on a T-shaped leg on the stock forward transmission mount or on a bar that runs between the rear upper shock mounts. There are some handy lightening holes available there. Or both. What do you think?

The MGR has (essentially) a single mount at the rear with two wide-spread at the front and hangs from above; while the original VW transaxle is the opposite. Too bad I can't just turn it around, upside down and backwards.