View Single Post
Old 10-29-2014, 01:53 AM   #7 (permalink)
jcp123
Just cruisin’ along

Beater Echo - '00 Toyota Echo
90 day: 42.67 mpg (US)

Hondizzle - '97 Honda Civic DX
Team Honda
90 day: 46.55 mpg (US)

Shaggin Waggin - '14 Chrysler Town + Country
90 day: 22.56 mpg (US)
I love my Mom...but as much as it's a story I now cherish and which she and I laugh about, I have to rat her out.

We were stuck in unusual and unexpected traffic one day. I was about 8 years old, so that would put this story in the early 90s and she would have been driving the triple black '65 Buick Electra my Dad bought with an intention to restore and keep driving. Anyhow, this ambulance in front of us flipped on the lights and blared the horn, and my Ma? She followed it across 4 lanes of surface street traffic and down the road for a bit to make a cheater right turn across traffic. In the super-conspicuous, huge, black Buick. We sure got home a lot faster, but it wasn't until much later it dawned in me what a jerk move that was like I said though, it's good for a laugh and I get to tease her about her immigrant driving (she is a resident alien since 1973, and the only native European I know who absolutely cannot drive stick despite numerous attempts by her first husband, then my father, and lastly by myself, to teach her. Go figure!). She drives a bit like a NYC cab driver anyway (words of one of her co-workers, not me)...four broken motor mounts at 78k miles and and average MPG of 18.8mpg in her Mazda3 kind of bear out her driving though

'97 Honda Civic DX Coupe 5MT - dead 2/23
'00 Echo - dead 2/17
'14 Chrysler Town + Country - My DD, for now
'67 Mustang Convertible - gone 1/17