View Single Post
Old 10-29-2014, 12:41 PM   #110 (permalink)
OG VX
JDM hypeR mileR

The OG VX - '92 Honda Civic VX
Team Honda
90 day: 68.64 mpg (US)
Update 10/29/2014: Sun Visor Delete + Ecool Breeze

Hello all, back here with some more eco-related updates. I didn't get any aero-work started this past weekend, but instead worked on finishing up adding a fan to the interior. I figured I should finish this project asap, while the weather was still warm enough for me to put such a fan to use. It’s now done, and running great! I love it. I’ll call this mod my “Ecool Breeze”. So, follow along and “let me take you to an island of the Ecool breeze”. (Terrible Shaggy pun, younger members likely won’t get it…so, sorry).

I didn't take many process-pics for the fan install, but it involved making a template from cardboard of the existing passenger side visor mounting holes, then transferring the template to cut out of a piece of 1/8" metal bar. I also added holes for the fan mounting base and switch panel to the mounting bar.

I decided to do a visor delete while I was at it, and used the existing visor bases/mounting plastics to incorporate into the fan mount design. Modified OEM pieces now serve as “blanks” for the driver’s side of the car, and offer cleaner mounting points for the fan on the passenger side of the car. The fan wiring runs down the passenger A-Pillar and sneaks into the cigarette lighter connection, for a cleaner look.

Pics:

RustOLeum hammered paint was used for the topcoat on the fan mount.

Here's how I modified OEM visor clips. I used a dremel bit to file them down, then Bondo filled the holes, then sanded, then used some SEM light gray to bring out an OEM-like finish.

For the far left/right visor mounting bases, I filled the center hole where the visor post once ran with an adhesive putty I got at Harbor Freight a while back. Iv'e used this stuff for all kinds of projects. Really cool, as you roll the two parts together like play-doo, then fix it in place, and it dries to a hard and strong finish. It sticks to plastics well. I remembered that it dried to a dull gray color as well. It turns out that the color was nearly a perfect match to my OEM interior, so no paint/bondo was needed. i just filled the holes and smoothed out the tops a little by hand, then let them set to dry, and voila: Fixed and (I feel) very presentable!

For those wondering, I no longer have a use for the drivers side visor. I can’t pull it down anyway due to the mirrors at the sides of the car. Fortunately, the side mirrors are large enough that I can lean and hide from glare behind them on moments of intense sun glare. I also have…wait for it…
sunglasses.

Finished Pics of the new set-up:

I’ll be back soon with pics of the finished EcoSafety sign. It’s about 95% done at this point.

As always, thank so much for EcoTuning in.
"Yesterday as I was going in to the shop, I came upon a recently killed Armadillo in the middle of the road with one front leg sticking up. As I passed over him he "High Fived" my air dam. I thought that showed a great attitude on his part." -The Donkey CRX

Last edited by OG VX; 10-29-2014 at 01:14 PM..