View Single Post
Old 07-18-2008, 11:29 AM   #1 (permalink)
brickinthewind
Rapidly Evolving Driver

Brick House - '04 Scion xB
90 day: 36.44 mpg (US)
Help me convince GF to pay $150 more to rent a Prius

Hey all,
Doing a trip around Labor Day where we fly to SEA on free Southwest tickets, then drive up to Vancouver and stay at a hotel there. I'm looking at rental discounts through Costco, and it looks like for a 4-day rental a Chevy Aveo from Alamo would be the cheapest at a base of $100 for the period, where a Prius from Hertz would be about $250 for the period. I've figured out a few things:

1. Prius will probably double the mileage of the Aveo, and save about $30 figuring $4.50 gas - we plan to fill up with good old red white and blue gas before we cross the border and that should last us.

2. We'll save more if we drive more - 310 miles is just straight from SEA to Vancouver round trip.

3. Prius is roomier and has eco street cred. I've always wanted to drive one and try out some of the Prius-specific hypermiling techniques.

Anyone have any helpful arguments to convince her we should pay $60 more per person (or less, if we drive more and save more $ on gas) on the Prius? I might just spring for it myself (hopefully she doesn't read this ) but I could use a little convincing too.